Author Topic: Deer Season on it's way  (Read 3689 times)

Hulk

Deer Season on it's way
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:34:02 AM »
Looking for jerky advice and recipes. I bought my number 2 with the intention of doing jerky because it can hold a low temp and is insulated for those cold months. Need lots of help and advice
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Deer Season on it's way
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:55:21 PM »
If you want to go a direction that will give you absolutely consistent results, go the equilibrium brine method, with the jerky fan.  Equilibrium whaaat??  Here's a little light reading, to get you up to speed!  First, is the difference in 2 important types of brines.  Next, is my first attempt at using the EQ brine for jerky, and then the second attempt that perfected it.  It's actually not a hard method, and the results are the same, every time!

Disclaimer:  There are MANY great methods for jerky, including just using off-the-shelf cures, like the High Mountain brand.  BUT, just remember to CURE (use of curing salt) in whatever method you use!  This helps prevent botulism.

Brines 101

Brine-Cured Beef Jerky with the James Jerky Dryer

Brine-Cured Jerky, Part 2
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Hulk

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »
Thanks my smokey brother - this was the kind of advice I was looking for.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 06:07:23 PM »
You're welcome!  Many great processes for jerky, but this works well for me.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:34:29 PM »
I have tried brines and mixes like High Mountain and High Country and my personal taste is that I prefer the mixes verses the brines. But this is very subjective and I would encourage you to try several different mixes and brines to see what you like.

For sure you MUST have a jerky dryer or some type of homemade fan to pull the moisture out of the smoker.

Some people hang their jerky. But I don't like this especially in the #1/#2 because there isn't enough height to get the meat far enough away from the heating element. So I just lay my strips on my racks and periodically rotate the racks from top to bottom and front to back. I purchased the seafood racks from Smokin It, but there are other cheaper alternatives out there that have been discussed here.

I also use chips verses chunks because they start smoking at the lower temp that you use for jerky drying.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

I am getting excited for deer season too even though I didn't get drawn for a tag this year. :( My son, brother, and Dad did get tags though and we always share our deer no matter who shoots them. So, hopefully we'll have plenty.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 07:31:49 PM »
I prefer a dry cure for bacon and jerky, especially for Jerky. The goal is to remove nearly all the moisture so I do not want to start the process by saturating the meat in a brine.

High Mountain is a great brand, very tasty and affordable, on top of that it is super easy.

You must have a jerky fan unless you are going to smoke for a few hours then finish in a dehydrator. I go low temp 100 or less for improved taste and texture.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud