Author Topic: Opinions on what went wrong  (Read 5864 times)

christian1

Opinions on what went wrong
« on: September 13, 2015, 02:02:11 AM »
New here and new to smoking.  After much reading and research I decided to get the 2 for my smoking needs.  Seasoned it and couldn't wait to start.  Everyone said a BB is a great meat and hard to mess up.  I bought a 6lber and made it today.  I started it at  7 this morning.  Smoker was set at 250 with 6 oz. of apple wood.  At 815 tonight the temp on my thermometer still said 165 degrees.  I was dumbfounded, but figured I couldn't let this thing turn to jerky so I pulled it.  Brought it in and let it rest.  The bone was falling out and it was done perfectly.  My concern is that it took so long to cook and that my thermometer read so low.  Thoughts?  Maybe I just need to upgrade to a better thermometer.   I saved it this time, but don't want to screw it up next time. 
Chris SE Wisconsin

Suzie-Q

Re: Opinions on what went wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 02:42:11 AM »
Well, I'm a newbie too but, "done perfectly" doesn't sound like anything went wrong, you're just at the beginning of the learning curve.  I'm sure you will soon get lots of sound advice from the experts.  They have so much experience; this forum was one of the reasons I chose my Smokin It #1.  Enjoy the food & the journey!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:11:30 AM »
New here and new to smoking.  After much reading and research I decided to get the 2 for my smoking needs.  Seasoned it and couldn't wait to start.  Everyone said a BB is a great meat and hard to mess up.  I bought a 6lber and made it today.  I started it at  7 this morning.  Smoker was set at 250 with 6 oz. of apple wood.  At 815 tonight the temp on my thermometer still said 165 degrees.  I was dumbfounded, but figured I couldn't let this thing turn to jerky so I pulled it.  Brought it in and let it rest.  The bone was falling out and it was done perfectly.  My concern is that it took so long to cook and that my thermometer read so low.  Thoughts?  Maybe I just need to upgrade to a better thermometer.   I saved it this time, but don't want to screw it up next time.

Sounds like the time for the smoke was about right and if the bone was falling out and it was done, you have a bad thermometer.

Just my 2 cents, but the two best investments besides your smoker is a digital scale and a decent thermometer or 2!.

For wireless remote a lot of us here use the Maverick ET-733 cost is around $70.00 on amazon. Also I would buy a instant read thermometer.

I own the Maverick 733 and its great, but there are some less expensive ones out there.

I also own Thermoworks instant read thermometer, reads in about 3 seconds. (cost about $80.00). There are cheaper versions of the Thermoworks that you can pick up for $25.00 or less. I own the Lavatools which is $25.00, but you might also want to check out the the Palermo Digital Barbecue Meat Thermometer cost is $19.00.

Here is some links you can checkout below. 

Maverick 733
http://www.amazon.com/ET733-Wireless-Thermometer-Newest-Handler/dp/B00GM0RXQQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1442142637&sr=8-3&keywords=maverick+thermometer

Lavatools Javelin/Thermowand  $25.00 on Amazon. Reads in about 4 seconds.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurate-High-Performing-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442142009&sr=8-2&keywords=instant+read+thermometer

Palermo Digital Barbecue Meat Thermometer cost is $19.00.
http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Thermometer-Collapsible-Replacement-Guarantee/dp/B00TKWWUCU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1442142480&sr=8-3&keywords=instant+read+thermometer

Congrats on your smoke!

Greg

es1025

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 09:47:50 AM »
If the bone pulls out with little or no resistance the pork butt is done perfectly.

I would invest in a chef alarm thermometer.  A little more expensive than the maverick and better quality.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html
$49.99 + $3.99 shipping.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Grampy

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 09:55:07 AM »
Sounds like a bad thermometer. Greg and Ed both have given you some real good options.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

christian1

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »
I knew I would get some shots about it "being done perfectly" and my post.  Trust me I am not complaining about the quality.  I simply don't want to have problems in the future.  I will look into a new thermometer.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

chris
Chris SE Wisconsin

drains

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 06:37:03 PM »
13 hours isn't out of line on a pork butt. Even a 6 pounder. Check your thermometer in a pan of boiling water and then a pan of ice water. Water boils at 212 degrees and becomes ice at 32 degrees.  I smoke butts at 235 and they go 16 to 18 hours without fail. Also smaller pieces of meat are harder to get to cooperate. 
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:32:12 PM »
Welcome aboard, Chris!  Sounds like you had a good smoke, but need a better thermometer! ;)   If the butt had truly been at 165, the bone would absolutely not have pulled out clean. 

As has been said, this is a learning process, and it sounds like you're on the right track!  Good luck with your future smokes, and let us know how we can help!  Be sure to post some pics, if able...we love pics to drool over around here! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 07:36:39 PM »
I might recommend a ThermoWorks RT301WA pocket thermometer I use it prior to pulling whatever I am smoking in my #1 & #3 smokers. Normally I will use both the auber meat probe and also the maverick 732. This is just an added safety thermometer as I really don't trust the maverick.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=780.msg1853#msg1853
Check this post out as an added choice.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

christian1

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 08:39:48 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  It was absolutely delicious.  Glad I found this place.
Chris SE Wisconsin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »
Glad I found this place.

So are we, Chris! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 12:11:33 AM »
I wonder if your probe placement caused the inaccurate reading. Make sure you place your probe in the thickest portion of the butt and make sure that it doesn't get too close to the bone.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »
I wonder if your probe placement caused the inaccurate reading. Make sure you place your probe in the thickest portion of the butt and make sure that it doesn't get too close to the bone.

Now that I read Gregg's post, could the probe been touching the rack?

Greg

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 11:17:25 AM »
Hey Chris, pictures are worth a thousand words. Also when you think about it could you add your name and home town to the signature list in your profile. We are a friendly bunch here and love to know people's first names. So we know who were talkin to.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
If the butt had truly been at 165, the bone would absolutely not have pulled out clean.
I'd bet a $100 that butt hit 190-195
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud