Author Topic: Hello  (Read 20314 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Hello
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
In regards to the original post about a "funky" taste. Who knew that there were so many flavor compounds emitted from the wood at so many temperatures. I wonder if there is some personal objection to one of these. I just saw this episode from Steven Raichlen's new series, Project Smoke. Queue up the video to 07:06 if you just want to watch the little section about the science of smoke.

http://video.mpt.tv/video/2365526373/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:45:08 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
In regards to the original post about a "funky" taste. Who knew that there were so many flavor compounds emitted from the wood at so many temperatures. I wonder if there is some personal objection to one of these. I just saw this episode from Steven Raichlen's new series, Project Smoke. Queue up the video to 07:06 if you just want to watch the little section about the science of smoke.

http://video.mpt.tv/video/2365526373/

I tried watching this,  but with the new computer and bose speakers a lot of the videos from youtube sounds fuzzy or weird to the point cannot make out what they are saying.   :(
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SconnieQ

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Odd. The video is on public television website (Maryland I think) rather than YouTube. Wonder if others have trouble. I am on Mac (Apple) so... stuff works. Using Chrome browser. Hope you can see.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

elkins20

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »
Hey Kari, I too am using chrome, but have also tried firefox and microsoft internet browser. All with the same results, some of the new videos will play perfectly. Others can see but cannot get a quality sound from them. This started happening with my old desktop and now continues with the new one.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Spolvs

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
Hello Everyone, it's been a while since i got back to everyone with an update, been real busy the past few weeks with the arrival of a new family memeber (Baby boy!) and had little time to smoke anything but did manage to get a rack on over the weekend....it was not good. The look and texture of the meat was bang on, made the foil boat for the hickory chips i had on hand and the meat did not taste good what so ever. I believe it was bad smoke probably due to over dried wood, i didnt have time to go out and get some premium wood and should've put in an order with fruitawood istead, but whats puzzling me is why does this smoker not burn wood properly??? i used to use the same chips on my gas grill and never had an issue, it would smoke clean and the food wood get a nice smoke ring with great smoke flavour,  it seems like the SI is incinerating whatever you put in the smoke box and its really frustrating. i have the 800 wat element and im starting to think it might be to much for such a little space, i lined the fos box with foil and also made a thick foil boat to coer the chips (buched up the chips) and still getting a horrible taste, i ended up throwing the rack out, the wife had one rib and said she couldnt eat them!
Joe from Toronto aka Poppa Roach

elkins20

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2015, 01:48:59 PM »
Hey Joe, First congrats on the baby boy and glad to hear both wife and baby are healthy. I remember you first said you was getting a funky taste on your ribs. I normally use oak and maple woods on my ribs about 5 oz. And the wood will look like charcoal blocks when the ribs are finished. I just wonder if you using foil on the bottom of your fire box and making a foil boat for the chips is causing your meat to taste bad. I normally just use chunks on my smokes. Also in my #1 I have the chip screen. Try soaking your chips for maybe 20 min. in warm water before smoking. And leave the foil boats off to see if you get a better taste. Also what is the rub you are using. Is it one you have used in the past and had good results with? You might try some wood from http://www.smokinlicious.com/. I have used their wood with very good results.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
I believe it was bad smoke probably due to over dried wood, i didnt have time to go out and get some premium wood and should've put in an order with fruitawood istead, but whats puzzling me is why does this smoker not burn wood properly???

Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy!

Regarding your rib smoke, I thought we had this all hashed out and you agreed that it was the bad wood that was causing the problem?

So, why are you still using it? For the money you wasted on the ribs, you could have bought some good wood from Smokinlicious.com.

One other small but important thing to note. In your comment you asked "why does this smoker not burn wood properly?" The answer is that you do not want to "burn" your wood. You want it to smolder. Burning wood is what is most likely causing your problem.

To go back to your question, I would rephrase it as "Why does my smoker burn my wood instead of letting it smolder and smoke?" And the answer is that your wood is to dry. Instead of smoldering, it is combusting. If you really want to use your chips, you are going to have to soak them for days, not minutes. But, I honestly would not waste any more meat until you get some premium wood. While Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Woods are great options, the trend is strongly moving to Smokinlicious.com.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Spolvs

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
Thanks Gregg, your 100% right, I know it's the wood and should've got the premium wood, I just don't understand why I don't get the same results when I use the gas grill? It should combust in the gas grill if too dry correct? Either way I was craving some Q and thought what the hell let's try the new technique with the foil boat and it made no difference lol I will definitely be ordering some premium wood and provide everyone with the proper update.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2015, 06:19:47 PM »
I am guessing that you aren't putting the chips 1/2" away from the burners on your gas grill like they are in the smoker.

To be fair, I have had some belches that were caused by combustion with my wood chunks and have not had any bad meals yet. And that was not even with the high quality wood from Smokinlicious. I think chips are just better used for low temp and/or cold smoking situations. For ribs and any 200+ degree smokes, I would strongly recommend chunks verses chips.

I just hate to see you ruin any more meat by getting too much combustion. But, here are a couple of ideas if you want to experiment some more with your chips.

One thing that comes to mind is where in your smoke box are you placing your chips? I know in mine and a lot of others here the rear/back of our smoke boxes get hotter than the fronts. Should you want to do some more experimenting, you could try placing your chips further to the front of the smoker.

Also, I see that you have tried foil boating which has not worked. But I do not see that you have tried the ramp-up method yet. I have never foiled any of my wood and don't really plan to. I prefer and use the ramp-up method as it has not failed me yet. Run at 140 for 45 minutes, before going up to your smoking temp. This allows that initial heating cycle (sometimes 2) to be broken right before the wood combusts and gives it a bit of a break before cycling the burner on again.

Just a couple of ideas. I feel bad for you because you have had some bad experiences with your new smoker. But, never fear. We'll help you get it figured out.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2015, 08:00:06 PM »
A few things to consider...

Comparing the smoke flavor you achieved on a gas grill as your "standard" (even with a foil packet of chips) will be much different than on a dedicated smoking device. It might just be your personal taste that dislikes the more pronounced smoked flavor you achieve with a long, low smoke.

Chips are more likely to combust over chunks, even if you soak or foil boat. For low and slow ribs, etc, if chips combust, the flavor is different than chunks that don't combust (turn into black pieces that look like charcoal).

When you are done with a smoking session, are your chips white ash? Or do they look like black charcoal?

Maybe the fact that your chips burn out so quickly on your gas grill gives less smoke flavor, and is preferable to more smoke flavor from the SI. But you said you were using very small amounts of wood, so still confused.

I have used Weber, big box, dried out wood chunks on my SI, and have not experienced anything too disgusting to eat. Far from it. In my opinion, these SI's produce darn tasty food, without much fuss (and I am known to my friends as a serious foodie). SI's are actually very simple, wood, meat, time. I think people are stretching in this thread to come up with a solution, and over-complicating things, to what seems to me, might just be a personal preference to the taste of smoked food. I know my mom absolutely hates smoked food. She is okay with food on the grill, but beyond that, not her thing.

Besides you and your wife, have you gathered other opinions from friends, neighbors, on the taste of the food? Can you describe the bad flavor you are experiencing? Bitter? Clove? Burnt? Ashy? So far, you've just described as bad.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:03:27 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »
Joe, first and foremost, Congratulations on your new son!! 

Everyone is giving great advice.  Gregg has a very valid point about why you are still using those chips, and Kari is spot-on with the issue of taste.  I believe your problem has more to do with crummy wood than taste.  I fully endorse Smokinlicious.com, and it is now the only wood I use.  One thing that I may have missed is what kind of wood chips were you using (type of wood)?  Smoke flavor is a major flavor profile, just like any other spice, and you simply may be using a wood smoke that you don't like!  Smoke flavor is very subjective.  Lots of folks hate mesquite, but I love it.  Lots of folks love apple, but I hate it!  You have to learn what you like and dislike.

And yes, the chips on a grill are going to react differently than in a dedicated electric smoker.  My recommendation is to save the chips for the grill, and get some good smoking wood.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
Until you've tried the really good wood, and other suggestions here, you can't rule everything out. But maybe the more pronounced smoked flavor of low and slow smoked meats is just not your thing. Maybe grilled flavor is more appealing. It is different. It's okay. I know a few people who just don't enjoy the long smoked flavors.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Spolvs

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »
Thx for your replies. I put more chips in this time around and was left with charred black left overs opposed to white ash, I'm placing the foil boat at the back of the firebox, Im pretty sure it's the wood and I should've known better but wanted to try and see if this new method would work. Im going to order some wood, any advice on storage?

Wph

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 10:39:46 PM »
Just wanted to say congrats on the birth! I recently got my #2 and my wood is from Smokalicious. I'm using cherry these days and no foil. I've had a few belches but not every time. I can't detect any bad tastes with my ribs. Keep trying, it's worth it!
Paul from the Med City
#2, Bradley Origiinal  Smoker, Weber Genesis

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »
+1 on the birth congrats.   I am "Mr Mom" for a 4 year old.   

Time flies by.....................trust me

Enjoy it!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA