Author Topic: crispy chicken skin  (Read 2664 times)

smokinfan

• hello smokers! Brad, nice to meet ya!
crispy chicken skin
« on: October 18, 2015, 05:51:04 AM »
First of all let me say that my SI2 makes me look like a professional chef. I love this thing! My wife loves brisket and though I've varied rubs, injected and not, and used various wood we have loved them all. Also when friends and family want pulled pork....I must be on speed dial! Thanks again for all the help on this forum! To this point I have shied away from poultry. My wife and I prefer crispy chicken skin and I have seen where this seems impossible just using my smoker. However, I want smoked chicken. I am wondering if I could get crispy chicken by finishing it in my rotisserie oven? Any information and advice would be, as always, greatly appreciated.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: crispy chicken skin
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 11:18:42 AM »
Hey Smokin' Fan, try finishing in the oven at 450 deg for about 10 or 15 minutes. You can also put the chicken under a low broiler but watch it carefully! I have done that successfully in the past. Just pull the chicken a few degrees early from where you want because the finishing will continue to cook it.

BTW, add your name and location to your signature line in forum profile. We love to know who we are taking to!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:45:11 PM »
+1

Broiler

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

prudentsmoker

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »
I am about a week away of trying my Harbor Freight $10 butane torch and am fairly confident it will work, but will advise for sure. i would think a propane torch would work if you had one.
Brian from Wichita

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:37:13 AM »
A few minutes under the broiler or even on your gas grill and you're good to go.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
+1   I go to the gasser for a few minutes to crisp the skin.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »
Hey Fan,  when you have a minute, go to the poultry section and search for "crispy skin."  You will see that this topic has been covered extensively!  Not trying to dodge your question, but there's no need to reinvent the wheel on a question that has had an incredible amount of discussion.  Search, and you will likely find more answers than you bargained for!

My advice?  Don't worry about crispy skin.  Go for the quality meat beneath, and the sooner you give up on crispy skin in these smokers, the sooner you will be at peace. 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!