Author Topic: Loose Meat/Maid Rite Sandwich  (Read 4636 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Loose Meat/Maid Rite Sandwich
« on: September 06, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »
I was born in the Midwest and one of the things that I miss is the Maid Rite Sandwich. The sandwich was born in Muscatine Iowa in the early 1920's and continues to live on today. Below is my version of the sandwich, which I think tastes better and is less greasy!

Give it a try I think you will really enjoy it.

Ingredients:
•   2 lb. ground chuck
•   2 cans Swanson’s low sodium chicken broth (or 32 oz. box)
•   ¾ cup minded sweet onion (chopped very fine)
•   ¼ t accent (optional)
•   2 T apple cider vinegar
•   1 T sugar
•   ½ t sea salt
•   ½ t ground pepper
•   1 T butter

Directions:
Add butter to skillet with onion, once lard melts add the 2 lbs. chuck. Cook until meat is no longer pink, drain the oil and put back on stove. Add all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Stir every 15 minutes; use a potato masher to make the meat very fine.  After an hour increase heat, crack lid and cook done until liquid is almost gone.

Takes about 2 hours.

Greg

pargolfr2003

Re: Loose Meat/Maid Rite Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:12:14 PM »
Looks awesome Greg! I grew up in Iowa and have eaten more of these than I carew to count. These pics make me homesick.. and hungry :)
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:22:40 PM »
It is amazing how foods you grew up with or even find on the road sometimes crave!

These hit the spot.

Greg

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »
Hey Greg...Looks great and worth a try. Question, Can the recipe be split in half?
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
Hey Greg...Looks great and worth a try. Question, Can the recipe be split in half?
All ya need is some math skills.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 06:28:07 PM »

Al make the recipe as stated and then split the results in half, I am just saying  :)

But all kidding aside, yes just cut the ingredients in half and you will have like results. But I can tell you these babies go down good and don't last long at our house and its just the little lady and me. Also the meat freezes really well, so if there are leftovers, in the freezer they go.

Greg

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 07:33:17 PM »
I was born in the Midwest and one of the things that I miss is the Maid Rite Sandwich. The sandwich was born in Muscatine Iowa in the early 1920's and continues to live on today. Below is my version of the sandwich, which I think tastes better and is less greasy!

Give it a try I think you will really enjoy it.

Ingredients:
•   2 lb. ground chuck
•   2 cans Swanson’s low sodium chicken broth (or 32 oz. box)
•   ¾ cup minded sweet onion (chopped very fine)
•   ¼ t accent (optional)
•   2 T apple cider vinegar
•   1 T sugar
•   ½ t sea salt
•   ½ t ground pepper
•   1 T butter

Directions:
Add butter to skillet with onion, once lard melts add the 2 lbs. chuck. Cook until meat is no longer pink, drain the oil and put back on stove. Add all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Stir every 15 minutes; use a potato masher to make the meat very fine.  After an hour increase heat, crack lid and cook done until liquid is almost gone.

Takes about 2 hours.

Greg

Hey Greg, In Kansas City there was the Nu Way restaurant, had the same type of sandwich. Was ground beef, with mustard and 2 slices of pickle, and the fries were thick like yours. But, they had really good milk shakes also. I think there are still a few around but very sparse. Thanks for the memories.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
But all kidding aside, yes just cut the ingredients in half and you will have like results.

Greg
Thanks Greg...Good to know, I also cook for 2 and I have found that when splitting recipes the end results are often not the same. Freezer space is limited and what I do have is devoted to vac packed meats sized to what we will consume in one sitting. Thanks for the input....This one is at the top of my "must try list"
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 10:22:13 PM »
But all kidding aside, yes just cut the ingredients in half and you will have like results.

Greg
Thanks Greg...Good to know, I also cook for 2 and I have found that when splitting recipes the end results are often not the same. Freezer space is limited and what I do have is devoted to vac packed meats sized to what we will consume in one sitting. Thanks for the input....This one is at the top of my "must try list"

Al,

Make this once and I think you will make again.

Greg

Schaef

• Greg - Marion, IA
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 09:31:31 AM »
Lots of Maid-Rites right here in Marion and Cedar Rapids.  Go Hawks!

Greg from Iowa
The #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »
Lots of Maid-Rites right here in Marion and Cedar Rapids.  Go Hawks!

Greg from Iowa

Yep that is were it all started.

In fact on the Roseanne show in her dinner she maid loose meat sandwiches....

Greg