Author Topic: Wood question  (Read 2482 times)

dannyboy

Wood question
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:27:01 AM »
planning on cooking my brisket this weekend. What is the most recommended wood type for a brisket and the amount for a 7lb cut?   Thanks
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

Grampy

Re: Wood question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:57:33 AM »
Dannyboy, you are going to get all kinds of suggestions on this one. Everyone's preference is different but my favorite for beef is mesquite. Hickory or oak are other great choices.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I like mesquite or oak for beef.  Probably 5-6oz or so will be perfect.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

dannyboy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
One other question.  Where u pull it to rest. Do I wrap it in foil or some other kind of paper? Thanks for all the advice.
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »
When you reach the desired IT, pull the brisket and double wrap in heavy duty foil.   Place the wrapped brisket in a cooler and wrapped in heavy towels for at least 2 hours, if possible.  It can actually sit in the cooler for much longer if needed, but 2 hours at a minimum gives the juices time to redistribute through the meat.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:23:11 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »
Hey Danny, I like oak and maple for beef, and hickory and cherry for pork, the earlier post of 5 - 6 oz is right on. And the resting post is the way I do that. Do not go out and buy and expensive cooler. I actually just use a styrofoam cooler that had when replaced the old fridge.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:00:15 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

dannyboy

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to give it a try. I'll post pics if I can figure it out. Not real good at that stuff

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »
I'll enter my vote for mesquite, or a hickory/mesquite combo for brisket!  I'd use 6 oz for your cut.  Oak is also great on beef.

Disclaimer:  Wood smoke flavor is like a spice, and the flavor it imparts is very subjective!  What tastes good to me, in a smoke profile, might not to you.  There really is a difference in smoke flavors, and it's up to the individual to experiment and find what is best for them!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!