Author Topic: Using pan to smoke boston butt  (Read 2621 times)

Cookie

Using pan to smoke boston butt
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:42:38 AM »
I am still learning how to smoke and I am more than pleased with my progress.  I am going to try a couple of 4lb Boston Butts today.  I am interested in keeping drippings.  What are thoughts about putting the butts in an aluminum tray or should I just use drip pans?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Using pan to smoke boston butt
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 10:15:35 AM »
Just an FYI that we have found that small butts like your 4lbers tend to take an abnormally long time. In the future I would strongly recommend using 7+ lb. butts. I would get them in the smoker asap if you want them done by dinner time.

Regarding using trays/drip pans, they can cause issues with your temperature controller's ability to accurately hold temps. So, my recommendation would be to use the smallest possible drip pans should you decide to use them.

Good luck with your smoke.

By the way if you didn't brine your butts, I would encourage you to check out Divotmaker's pork butt brining post that is set up as a sticky at the top of the pork section.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:15:20 PM »
Hey Cookie, this is how I did a BB a few smokes ago. I was also able to capture some of the Au Jus. And +1 on Greg's post about adding a drip pan under the BB and also need something over 7#. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3747.0
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:19:27 PM »
+1 on Gregg's comment on drip pans affecting temperatures.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 05:23:33 PM »
+2, Gregg is spot on, as usual!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:29:43 PM »
I am still learning how to smoke and I am more than pleased with my progress.  I am going to try a couple of 4lb Boston Butts today.  I am interested in keeping drippings.  What are thoughts about putting the butts in an aluminum tray or should I just use drip pans?

First, are you sure those are Boston butts?  I've never seen one that small; you may have picnic roasts?  There actually is a difference between pork shoulder roasts.  Bostons are usually only in the 7-11 lb range.

Second, I don't advocate ever putting meat in a pan, in these smokers.  You may put a small drip pan under the meat (on a lower shelf) to catch drippings, but don't use one too big.  It messes with the internal box temp of the smoker, if the pan is too big.  Personally, I care less about capturing drippings than I do about a great piece of BBQ...non-player, for me!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 01:38:35 AM »

Also Cookie I have a name post that you might want to look at. As we are kind of friendly here and like to know who we are talking to and maybe the city they live in. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=999.0 If you look over the comments here everyone has their first name and city with other info. added. Thanks in advance.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri