Author Topic: Trying to decide what to do!  (Read 8428 times)

Wph

Re: Trying to decide what to do!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:59 PM »
If one doesn't purchase wood from the company, does anyone have any suggestions. And also how much to use?
Paul from the Med City
#2, Bradley Origiinal  Smoker, Weber Genesis

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 10:25:03 PM »
Welcome, and congrats, Paul!

You won't regret your decision; no comparison to what you have been used to!

As far as wood, I'm a huge fan of Smokinlicious.com wood.  It has the right moisture content for smoking, and is very clean heart wood (no bark).  Here's a guide that will help you with amounts:

Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods

Also, be sure to check out the guides for beginners, under the User Guidelines and Instructions section (the first 2 topics - What to Do When it Arrives, and Basics for a Beginner). 

Let us know how we can help, and we look forward to seeing your successes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »
Hey Paul, you will be very happy with the #2. In fact on my order of the #1 after I slept on it. I called Steve the next morning to change my order and it had already shipped. As was going to change it to a #2. But, all worked out just fine. I see a great many smoked meals heading your way. Also +1 on Tony's post.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 11:41:07 PM »
Second option for different wood

http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com

Between the two you will be happy.   Don't buy a ton of wood, an order goes a long way.

Keep us posted and updated.

Enjoy!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:38 PM »
I still have a ton of wood I ordered from Steve, it seems to be pretty good. But, think I will go with http://www.smokinlicious.com/ on my next order, which will be oak, maple and hickory. I do use cherry but only on pork and with oak. Funny today was at RD and they were completely out of BB. So picked up a package of St. Louis ribs, did not have full slabs. And a 12# brisket grade choice. It looked really good and called my name as I went by.  ??? Actually just order some hickory and red oak from smokinlicious. I do not think they sleep over there. As on my e-mail the reply was sent at 3:45am.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:41:44 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 07:28:34 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Paul and congratulations on the purchase of the #2.  I purchased a #2 over two years ago and enjoy smoking something pretty much every weekend.   As for wood, you have two good choices provided above ... I have used MGW and have been satisfied with the wood.    Typically you don't need more than 3-6oz of wood for any smoke, so the bags of wood that you get from these companies will go a long way!   Happy smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 01:58:17 PM »
Welcome to the club. 
You just bought your last electric smoker.
+1...Joe hit the nail on the head!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

Wph

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »
Got my #2! It's a beast! Can't wait to be home long enough to get started using it. Thanks for all the great advice on where to get wood.
Paul from the Med City
#2, Bradley Origiinal  Smoker, Weber Genesis

elkins20

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
Hey Paul, this would be a great weekend to smoke something.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 05:58:37 PM »
Great decision, Paul!  Many great smokes ahead of you, Sir! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!