Author Topic: 4.5# brisket flat gameplan-completed with finished pics  (Read 8575 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: 4.5# brisket flat gameplan-completed with finished pics
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 10:07:29 AM »
Looks delish! Nice job!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »
Hey Kevin, Looks really good, great bark.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 01:52:56 PM »
Way to go, Kevin!  Looks great!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 02:37:11 PM »
Nice job Kevin. It looks great! More importantly how did it taste?
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 10:46:03 PM »
Looks good!  You're lucky it only took 2 hours per pound!  Still twice as long as larger cuts, so now you'll know for next time!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SpottedCow

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 06:37:52 PM »
Turned out really good. Could have been a slightly more juicy on the thinner end but overall I was happy. There's not a lot of fat to render in these small flats so I'm thinking this is as good as I can cook one this size. Wasn't oversalted at all.

I'm going to draw a few temporary conclusions from this cooking experience though.

To get melt in your mouth tender brisket you need to:

Cook a full packer

Cook the point end

Cook the flat end in an aluminum roasting pan with some broth or other liquid of choice covered with some foil after it hits 150 or so on the smoker. (Just an idea at this time)

Wasn't bad at all but it's just not perfect. Isn't that what ever bbq'er wants after all? I simply don't think there's enough fat in the flat end alone to keep it mouthwatering moist. Still, good though....lets just say no one complained :D.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:05:11 PM by SpottedCow »
#2 Owner. Little chief for cold smoking. Avid bow hunter.

Spotted cow.....Wisconsin's favorite beer available nowhere else.

elkins20

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »
Hey Kevin, Here is how I did my 7# brisket, it turned out very good despite a couple of mistakes on my part. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3883.15 this should give you some ideas to go by.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SpottedCow

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 01:11:55 AM »
Hey Kevin, Here is how I did my 7# brisket, it turned out very good despite a couple of mistakes on my part. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3883.15 this should give you some ideas to go by.

I think I may try that out as Ive been wanting to do a point. I want to do a full packer as well, I just have no idea how I would fit it in the box without having to cut it.
#2 Owner. Little chief for cold smoking. Avid bow hunter.

Spotted cow.....Wisconsin's favorite beer available nowhere else.

elkins20

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 01:16:42 AM »

I think I may try that out as Ive been wanting to do a point. I want to do a full packer as well, I just have no idea how I would fit it in the box without having to cut it.

Hey Kevin, Right after I purchased the #3, I measured the depth of the racks and went and purchase a couple of choice briskets. But, I too a tape measure with me. People looked at me like I was nuts. Finally told this one guy that I had a new smoker and wanted to make sure the meat would fit in it without having to cut it. He just said sounds like a good idea and laughed.