Author Topic: First time doing pulled pork need some help!  (Read 4866 times)

Manania

First time doing pulled pork need some help!
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »
I've loved my little guy since I got it last year.  Meijer had Boston butts for 99 cents a pound this week, so I figured it was time to make some pulled pork.

My pork is rubbed and ready to go. I plan to smoke at 225 with 5oz of hickory. I know it will likely take 1.5-2hrs per pound, and it's around 8 pounds. My plan is to have this for dinner tomorrow. Everything I've read tells me to add an extra 2 hours of rest time before I start pulling.

My concern is if the pork takes 1.5 hours instead of the 2 I'm budgeting. I could potentially be done well before we plan to eat tomorrow.

Is there a way I can keep it warm without drying out the meat?
Mike
Columbus, Oh
Smoker #1
Go Bucks!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: First time doing pulled pork need some help!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:56:06 PM »
Wrap with alum foil (double or triple) and let rest in a cooler/off oven

I'd rather have a butt done early than late.   They are better when "rested".

Depending on the weight of the one you have...............under 7lbs.........you might be surprised how long it might take to cook.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Tyarra

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
Double wrap in heavy duty foil.  Put it in an ice chest, or large tub that you've got packed with towels.  Cover with towels.  This will stay warm for quite a long while - I wouldn't be surprised if it was still warm after 6-8 hours.   

In fact, we did a BB about a month or so ago (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3776.msg31927#msg31927), and my husband double wrapped it when it came off, and then went to bed.  The next day, he started a topic about reheating for pulling, but hadn't realized that I was pulling it at the time, which was about 8 hours later.  It was still warm, still juicy, and oh-so-very delicious!
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

Manania

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 07:03:53 AM »
As it turns out, this really may become an issue.  I put the pork in at 10:15 last night which gives me 2 hours per pound plus 2 hours of rest before we want to eat.

The excitement of it woke me up around 2:30 last night. My thermometer was at 154. I assumed I was in the stall and wouldn't see much movement by the time I woke up this morning. My thermometer is at 181 right now.

I did some quick math to figure out when it would be done at this pace and it looks like I may be having pork for lunch. That doesn't really work with our plans for today, so I decided to back off my temperature to 200 to slow it down a little bit.

I'm not sure if this is really the best thing to do and if it could mess with my results.

Has this ever happened to anyone and what did you do?
Mike
Columbus, Oh
Smoker #1
Go Bucks!

pargolfr2003

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »
Mike don't panic, you'll still be ok. I probably wouldn't have turned down the temp but shouldn't hurt you. As previous posts stated: after you reach temp, double wrap in foil, then wrap in towels and put it in a cooler and it'll stay warm for quite a long time. After you pull it if it's still too early put the meat in a crock pot with a little apple juice which will of course keep it warm for as long as you want it to be. I did this a couple months ago for a graduation party and it worked fine.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 09:25:36 AM »
The last butts that I did actually stalled for several hours at 180IT, so I think you are fine.    When you hit your desired IT, go ahead and remove, double wrap in foil with towels in a cooler, and the butt can easily sit for several hours and stay warm.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 10:00:38 AM »
Mike, another trick you can use is whenever you reach your desired internal temperature take the butt out and double wrap it in foil. Lower your smoker temp down to 140 degrees and let it sit in the smoker wrapped at 140 degrees until it is about 1 1/2-2 hours before your desired eating time then set it into a cooler with towels until to pull it and eat. The 140 degree temperature will keep the meat at a safe holding temperature and not cook the meat any further. The butt will still be hot and juicy. 
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Manania

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 11:12:41 AM »
Hit IT of 196 at 11am - a little over 12 hours for an 8lb butt.  Since I'm done well before we plan on eating dinner, I'm going to try the method of holding at 140. 
Pulled the butt out and double wrapped in foil. Adjusted my temp down to 140 and let the smoker cool until the light turned on. The butt is waiting until about 4 when I plan to let it rest in a cooler and pull it around 6.

Hoping this works because it looks phenomenal now!
Mike
Columbus, Oh
Smoker #1
Go Bucks!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 11:20:54 AM »
Perfect plan, Mike.  It will work!   Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »
Sounds like you have it under control. I have seen a lot do this. But, when mine gets done early I just pull double wrap in foil and wrap in towels and into the cooler. You would be amazed how warm they stay in the cooler.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Grampy

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 03:20:02 PM »
Mike, you will not be disappointed. It will be great.
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Grampy

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »
So Mike, how did it turn out?
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!