Author Topic: Little Guy first smoke  (Read 5407 times)

ND PHOTOGUY

Little Guy first smoke
« on: August 28, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »
Well, I did my first pork smoke last week. My smoke was a 9# Pork Butt that I pulled for sandwiches. I dry rubbed the pork with Famous Daves Rib Rub and top coated it with some dark brown sugar. It got to rest in the refrigerator for twenty-four hours before placing it in the smoker. I used a wood combination of 4oz of hickory and 2oz of apple. My Model#1 was set at 225 degrees. I started the smoker at 4:00am and took it out 13hours later at 5:00pm when it came up to temp at 196 degrees. I then wrapped it in two layers of foil with a towel cover in a cooler for thirty minutes. (OK, I know I should have let it rest for an hour but I just couldn't wait any longer.) When I tried lifting it out of the foil to put it on a large grilling plate to pull....well, it just fell apart! It was so tender, so moist. Amazing taste!!! Let's just say that I am indeed hooked! Baby Backs next week. I can't wait.
My name is Ken. Our home is in Bismarck, ND. Retired, married to the love of my life for 40 years, father to two, grandfather to seven. We love to travel and now I want to start "Smokin-it!"

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Little Guy first smoke
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »
Well done!

Leftovers will be even better.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 02:59:37 AM »
Hey Ken, this looks really good, Also if you make you own baked beans you can use some of the left overs in the beans. I have done this and it really adds a nice flavor to the beans. Good luck with your ribs, I have been buying full slabs and cutting them to St. Louis style, saving the pieces that I cut off to smoke and then hold for meat for my beans. I made a post earlier on how to cut down the full slab ribs to St. Louis style. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3773.0
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

drains

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 05:19:51 AM »
Looks really tastey ken! Keep it up and enjoy the simplicity of making great Q!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 09:26:17 AM »
Well done, Ken!  Looks great!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »
Bravo....Bravo.........!!
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:52:28 PM »
Well-played, Ken!  Nice job, indeed! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 01:07:52 AM »
Looks awesome! Another SI user is hooked. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 10:35:44 AM »
Ken - this looks great!  Pork butt is going to be my next venture.  I'm pretty new to the SI.  I've smoked salmon, whole chicken, brisket and lots of ribs......all with excellent results.

I've never in my life smoked a pork butt and I'm excited to give this a try.  I like your simple approach and I'll try to replicate.

It looks like you wrapped in plastic wrap and then with foil.  True?

Thanks for sharing.
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »
Hey Terry, you wrap in plastic after applying the mustard and rub to place in the fridge for resting. Then remove the plastic and into the smoker. After you reach our internal temp. pull from the smoker and then wrap in aluminum foil and towels to place in a cooler for 1 to 2 hours rest.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
Thanks Bill - was looking at the pics too fast thinking the plastic wrap was put on after getting smoked.  Had I spent a little more time looking at pics, I'd have realized the plastic wrap was for the overnight dry rub..........just have to follow the sequence of pics!
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 11:12:09 PM »
Hey Terry, as we speak I have ribs, getting happy with smeared mustard, John Henry's pecan rub, Montreal steak seasoning, double wrapped in plastic getting happy in the fridge. Have to test the Auber after I blew the slr in it whatever an slr is. But, the folks at Auber fixed it and shipped it back for free. Other wise would put in #3. Also gave it a light coating of cinnamon.

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »
Bill, thanks for the explanation. Yes, plastic wrap over the rub and in the fridge for twelve hours. Foil after the smoke! Hey, I'm doing my first ribs this coming Wednesday. I'll let everyone know how it goes! 😀
My name is Ken. Our home is in Bismarck, ND. Retired, married to the love of my life for 40 years, father to two, grandfather to seven. We love to travel and now I want to start "Smokin-it!"

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 11:31:50 PM »
Hey Ken, good luck on your ribs, I will start mine at 140 for 45 min, then to 235 for 6 hrs. But, will check them at the 4.5 hour mark. Seems like my ribs get done at that time frame. I will do the toothpick test. I insert a toothpick between the bones, if it goes in like a knife in warm butter. And can pull the meat up and down without breaking the pick they are done. Good luck with your ribs Ken. Also you will cut them in half to fit in the #1. Make sure and put the small end on the top rack and the larger ones the next rack down from the top. I also add a water pan, will use 4 oz of oak and maple wood.

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 09:00:31 AM »
   Thanks again Bill. You've answered some of the questions that I've already been lining up in my head about these ribs. I do have one more though... OK, my plan is to do two full racks, when cut in half will give me four pieces. What is the best way to position them in the smoker since I don't have a rib rack.