Author Topic: Chuck roast question  (Read 4075 times)

va_rider

Chuck roast question
« on: August 25, 2015, 05:00:12 PM »
I've got a 3#10oz chuck roast from an admin at work. Her kid raised the cow, and at show it graded prime. I've had several briskets from the same cow, and they were by far the best briskets I've done...just amazing quality beef.

So, I've got this chuck roast, and plan on smoking it like a small brisket. But the butcher trimmed essentially all fat from it. How do I keep it moist? Necessary to brine? Inject? Or will putting a layer of  bacon on the bottom provide direct heat protection and help to keep things moist?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Chuck roast question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:23:06 PM »
Probably don't want to hear my answer but chuck roast is a variety of muscles, some of which can dry out.  I always smoke my chucks for a few hours and then braise to finish. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »
I just did a Chuck Roast last week. It was a small one. maybe 1.5-2.0 pounds.

I brined it with a modified version of Tony's butt brine. I basically just added two TBSPs Weber Steak & Chop seasoning to the brine. This was also the seasoning that I rubbed the roast with.

I smoked it with some mesquite to 150 and then pulled, foiled and rested for an hour.

I had a foil pan under the roast in hopes of getting some drippings for Au Jus. But surprisingly, I did not get any drippings. So I just made an off the shelf Au Jus with some Johnny Seasoning French Dip Au Jus concentrate and then added some of the drippings from the resting foil.

Johnny Seasoning French Dip Au Jus
http://www.amazon.com/Johnnys-French-Concentrated-Sauce-8-Ounce/dp/B000H25UVK

Sliced the roast thin and made some sandwiches with sub buns and dunked in the Au Jus (French Dip style).

Sorry, I forgot pics, but it turned out awesome!

Normally, I would prefer a sirloin roast for this, but I pulled this roast out of the bottom of my freezer to get it used.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:29:24 PM »
I just did a Chuck Roast last week. It was a small one. maybe 1.5-2.0 pounds.

I brined it with a modified version of Tony's butt brine. I basically just added two TBSPs Weber Steak & Chop seasoning to the brine. This was also the seasoning that I rubbed the roast with.

I smoked it with some mesquite to 150 and then pulled, foiled and rested for an hour.

I had a foil pan under the roast in hopes of getting some drippings for Au Jus. But surprisingly, I did not get any drippings. So I just made an off the shelf Au Jus with some Johnny Seasoning French Dip Au Jus concentrate and then added some of the drippings from the resting foil.

Johnny Seasoning French Dip Au Jus
http://www.amazon.com/Johnnys-French-Concentrated-Sauce-8-Ounce/dp/B000H25UVK

Sliced the roast thin and made some sandwiches with sub buns and dunked in the Au Jus (French Dip style).

Sorry, I forgot pics, but it turned out awesome!

Normally, I would prefer a sirloin roast for this, but I pulled this roast out of the bottom of my freezer to get it used.

Hey Gregg,

In the past I have Johnnys, but now use Minor's beef base. This stuff is really good, you can buy on Amazon and I believe BJ's.

Minor's (Original Formula) Beef Base - 16 oz.

100% All-Natural, NO artificial ingredients, NO chemical preservatives and NO artificial coloring
    Meat-First base meaning the first ingredient is Roasted Beef and Natural Beef Juices
    1 tsp. = 8 oz. Beef Stock/Broth --- 1 Container = 5 gallons

Greg

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 10:19:10 PM »
Hey Aaron, here is my post on a chuck roast in my #1. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3568.0
It turned out really good for pulled beef sandwiches. Please excuse the spelling errors.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

va_rider

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:33:01 AM »
Well, I smoked the roast last night. I put a light dusting of a simple salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder rub on it and sealed it up with the foodsaver for about 4 hours. Then, I pulled it out of the FoodSaver bag and injected beef broth into it. I tossed it onto the smoker @ 225 and in about 3.5 hours it was at an IT of 195.

The texture was that of a filet, very moist and juicy. The connective tissue had just started to break down. Cut into slices, it was about perfect.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »
That is great to hear Aaron! I would have thought 195 on a chuck roast would have dried it out. But maybe the injection prevented this.

No pics?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

va_rider

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »
I did it kinda quickly last night, and it was done around 10pm, so I tried a few pieces, then double wrapped in foil and tossed it in the fridge. The plan is to warm it back up tonight for dinner, so we'll see how it hold up for leftovers.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2