Author Topic: creosote buildup  (Read 9001 times)

duckjockey

creosote buildup
« on: August 25, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »
The posts by Super Dave and Divotmaker back in Feb about creosote buildup on the tops of their smokers makes me ask, are you worried about that same substance being deposited on the meat?

Duckjockey
Duckjockey

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: creosote buildup
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
Here is a photo of some eggs that I did at Easter.  I'm guessing that our food gets some creosote.  Maybe more or less depending on how clean of a smoke we have but some nonetheless. 

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
Clean smoke (per session) or clean box?

I didn't get an FDA letter yet, so all is well.   I'd imagine any charcoal or wood stick burner would be the same.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 04:14:42 PM »
I think the wall surfaces of the box are no different than the surfaces of the meat.  So, clean smoke session.  i.e. light smoke versus heavy smoke.  The subject of quality wood with moisture is directly related to this topic. 

duckjockey

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 04:28:21 PM »
Super Dave,

Great picture--if those eggs had been 'blown', they'd be smokin' works of art!
"Clean smoke" in any smoker might be an oxymoron, but producing smoke that's low in creosote depends not only on low resin wood, but also high temperatures.  Since the wood chunks used in electric smokers smolder at low temps, it's likely that they are fairly high in creosote and other undesirable chemicals. 
I know that Smokin-It recommends putting cold meat in a cold smoker before turning it on, but that might also create an issue: smoke condenses on cold surfaces, and if the meat and walls are cold, and the smoke starting up from the initial heating of the element contains a lot of creosote, it will be deposited on any cold surface it touches.  I don't know how much difference it makes to preheat the cabinet and put in room temp meat, but it might be worth trying.
Still, I suspect any smoking method is going to create creosote and other harmful chemicals, and deposit it on the meat.  I'm just wondering if a hot charcoal and wood chunk fire would be less prone to that problem. ???
Duckjockey
Duckjockey

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:19:58 PM »
Watched an Alton Brown episode on TV and he claimed that creosote increased exponentially with combustion.   

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 09:29:30 PM »
I believe we're confusing smoke build up with creosote.  Dave's eggs are just build up from the smoke (golden brown).  To me, creosote is black and bitter (think of what a railroad tie looks like).  The only time I get a creosote build up is when I've had several rounds of wood combustion.  I have black on the door, and the inside of the smoker.  Since I've gone with better wood, the inside of my smoker stays a nice shade of brown.  No matter how you heat it, smoke is dirty!  It has particulates that stick to things - including our meat (that's why it works).  Please don't report me to the EPA... ???   The brown buildup is caused by the smoke mixing with moisture.  If you look at liquid smoke, it's brown, but it isn't creosote.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 10:18:08 PM »
Thanks for that summary.   

EPA only cares about coal, we are safe for a while:)

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 10:49:46 PM »
That is unless you believe those that think we are giving ourselves cancer.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »
Thanks for that summary.   

EPA only cares about coal, we are safe for a while:)

Don't be so sure about that!  This guy may show up in your driveway!

BBQ Police
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 08:39:03 PM »
I heard about this, but I thought it was commercial use in residential neighborhoods.

Hey, people vote these people in.............wadda you going to do!

In Cali, you already can't have mowers and leaf blowers over certain decibels, I'm sure they will be the test run area for the smell police.  As beautiful as Cali is, no good from government comes out of that state.

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »
Yeah, John, I thought it was a joke, too, until I saw the video!  Can you believe that?  This was in Florida, but these zealots are everywhere!  I'd love to introduce this guy to my Meathead (Cyrus, the English Mastiff), should he choose to question me about smoke from my SI!  HaHaHa!!  He may think twice about his opinion concerning BBQ smoke! ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 11:24:03 PM »
You guys may have missed one of the follow up videos. The guy in question was doing commercial smoking in his backyard and selling it on the street corner. It looked like the California wildfires in his backyard.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 10:41:03 PM »
You guys may have missed one of the follow up videos. The guy in question was doing commercial smoking in his backyard and selling it on the street corner. It looked like the California wildfires in his backyard.

Guess I didn't see that, but still, what's the problem?  It's BBQ smoke, not a tire fire!  I wouldn't mind living next door to a good BBQ restaurant! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »
I am with you Tony, if next door to BBQ might be able to get some wood very late at night at a really good price.  ???
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri