Author Topic: First Brisket Smoke  (Read 3322 times)

Tyarra

First Brisket Smoke
« on: August 24, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
Well, we finally got around to doing a brisket - found one at the store when I was there last, at $2.99/lb, so I took it as a sign, and grabbed one.  (Typically, I can't find them for much less than $3.99, "usual" price is closer to $5.99!)

So, I brined that baby for 24 hours (might have actually been 26).  Then, I rinsed it, cut it into a couple of pieces (got the #2, and the brisket was too long, tucking wasn't really an option), rubbed it all up, and stuck it back in the fridge since we decided that we didn't want to be pulling it off at midnight or so.  First thing in the morning, put it on, the flat end up top, the thicker bit on the shelf below.  Just under 6 ounces of oak, at 235°.  Fat cap downwards.  (Oh, yeah, I scored the fat before brining, in diagonals, both directions, seemed to work very nicely.)  The top piece finished first, at about 9-1/2 hours, the bottom piece took about 90 minutes more.  Picture is of the top piece.

Bottom line:  Taste, but more importantly, the texture was great.  Had the cute little faux smoke ring, which was nice, but as someone mentioned, even if you're doing it in a wood-fired pit, that ring doesn't always appear.  Took a few bits, chopped 'em up, and threw 'em into a saucepan with a can of Ranch Style beans, with some barbecue sauce.  (Base recipe is the Strutting Sauce from Smoke & Spice - with modifications.)
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

Grampy

Re: First Brisket Smoke
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »
Tyarra, Congratulations on your successful brisket smoke!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:37:38 PM »
Excellent job on your first Brisket in your new smoker!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:49:49 PM »
Great job, Leah!  The brisket looks perfect from my angle  ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
That looks really good Leah, and bet the beans were also good.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:25:34 PM »
Way to go, Leah! ;D   Briskets are nothing to be afraid of in the SI!  I've never smoked a bad one yet!  I saw Sam's had USDA Prime brisket this weekend, for $3.48/lb!  I was doing a sirloin roast, and didn't have room in the freezer, or would have gotten one!  They don't have primes very often.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »
Shoot was just at Sam's today but was on the bike so did not look at the meat. May have to take a trip back up there. I would like a 12# to try in the #3.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Tyarra

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »
Thanks all!    Never had a problem with a brisket before, so I didn't expect any trouble with this one - even if it was done tons differently than a brisket that I've cooked in the wood-burner!

The fat cap down was definitely different.  Brining is something I've never done before, but I LOVE the way stuff comes out, so I try and plan for /days/ when I got something of decent size to cook. :D

And, I've mentioned before, pulled pork has become a standard item to have on hand around here!
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt