Author Topic: 5 Degree Swing with Auber befor holding at set temperature  (Read 2681 times)

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
5 Degree Swing with Auber befor holding at set temperature
« on: August 23, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »
Installed probe through the wall and ran auto tune for my SM1 last week. Today I smoked some spare ribs. Set Auber at 225, inside temp of box when I put meat in was 74 , the ribs were close to that and outside temperature was about 74 . Looked at it at about 1.5 hours into cook and noticed it was 230. At 2 hours it was at 225. I checked it periodically until the 3 hour mark, when it was still 225 and I took the ribs out to cover them with foil. Took about 3 minutes, temp dropped to about 175. It want back up to 230 then dropped to 220 before going up and holding at 225. Box dropped to about 180 when I opened it and removed foil. Now about 26 minutes into last hour, the temp is showing 230. Now its 36 minutes and it has dropped down to 222. At 40 minutes its down to 220. At 54 minutes its back to 230. Rose to 232 before ending up at 230 on the 60 minute mark when I took them out. Is this a normal fluctuation and the way it is suppossed to work? I have a feeling that I have done something wrong, but don't have a clue what it was. Any advice would be appreciated.
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: 5 Degree Swing with Auber befor holding at set temperature
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:28:51 PM »
Gary, in the world of smoking meat, that is pretty darn tight temps.  When you get auto tune results one of the numbers effects how quickly the temp adjusts.  I thought I recalled you getting some results a little out of the norm.  I think what you have is quite acceptable but you can always run another auto tune to see if you can tighten it up a couple of degrees. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
Hi Gary, I too have the #1 and mine are pretty steady. Once they hit the temp. I have set say 235 I don't see any movement as it hold pretty steady. My pid settings are as follows: p=61 i=362 d=340. I think the temp. was in the mid 80's that day. But, you might want to do as Dave suggested and run another AT and see what your settings are after the AT.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 10:54:59 PM »
Thanks guys, that's what I will do. The good news is that the ribs were delicious!
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 10:39:35 PM »
The good news is that the ribs were delicious!

That's the "bottom line!"  I've noticed door openings will cause some fluctuations in an otherwise "dead on" temperature hold.  Not sure why, but it works out.  I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!