Author Topic: Hello from NYC  (Read 4682 times)

smokeclub

• Nick
Hello from NYC
« on: August 15, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
Hello everybody!  Might be one of the few folks with a smokin-it in New York City!  Bought a #1 3 weeks ago- so far have done 2 briskets, one pork butt and a complete creosote disaster of a cold smoke with salmon and mozzarella (more on that in another post).  Have two racks of chicken thighs going on right now so lots of 'firsts' for me, with pretty good success thanks to the great advice on the forums. 

Being in the big city means it's actually kinda hard to find large pieces of meat like whole brisket, full rack of ribs, etc.  Anyone have any recommendations aside from Costco (my current go-to place?) 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:08:21 PM by smokeclub »
Nick in NYC- learning to smoke with a #1 and always open to suggestions!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Hello from NYC
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »
Welcome from Kansas City, Mo. In an answer to your question about purchasing meat in large quantities. Are you close to  Brooklyn, NY 566 Hamilton Ave. Brooklyn,  NY 11232, this is the address of a Restaurant Depot. If you have a food license you can join. If not for $35.00 you can become a member of KCBS and then print daily passes to the Restaurant Depot. Several of us on this forum belong to it. And The prices are a little better than at Costco. For instance whole briskets are 3.89 per pound. Slabs of ribs come in 3 packs. They have a very good selection of meat at least the one in Kansas City does. Here is the post for the restaurant depot and good luck.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3591.msg29510#msg29510
I also found a second location that might be close to you:  Maspeth(Queens), NY 43-40 57th Avenue Maspeth, NY 11378
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:30:32 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »
Welcome to lazy Q

Check the truck that delivers your favorite restaurant meat.   Follow it to where its picked up!   I'd bet there is something in the area for a do it self person.  Short of $85 in tolls to hoboken

Don't tell your mayor you have an electric smoker.

#1 it sounds/smells like you smoke

#2 its not solar

#3 it requires processing protein

#4 The neighbors will serve you with a warrant for either nor sharing or smelling up the joint.

Enjoy though, it sounds like you are off to a great start.

Get a large cooler and make a road trip or two for meat pickup!   Get a Vac sealer and hunker down with some great cooks.   

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

smokeclub

• Nick
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Elkins- first off jealous you are in KC- been there to visit some friends and it is indeed one of the shrines to 'cue! 

Thanks for the great advice re: restaurant depot!  I think I know some folks who have a membership to RD through their charity organizations, they're always talking about how it's better than Costco- now I know why! 

We aren't that far away from the location you listed, so will have to go there soon for some whole brisket!

smokeclub

• Nick
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 10:07:33 PM »
Great point!  Having a chuckle imagining myself dressed up in cammo and binos trying to 'tail' the meat delivery truck back to the source!  Actually we know food service drive up the the Bronx has some amazing butchers- it's where a lot of the meat for NYC gets broken down for Whole Foods, etc. and we took a butchering class there once- incredible.  Only issue is it's a little far (we don't have a car so pretty reliant on public transport) and generally they only sell to distributors.  Maybe I could go in there wearing a fedora and some sunglasses and tell them i'm looking 'for the good stuff' and throw them a couple extra dollars. 

Re: smoking in NYC, so far reaction has been pretty positive- just moved into a new place and apartment rules state 'no cooking on balcony' but real estate agent told us that was 'loosely enforced'...we are 'paying off' our doormen in smoked meats .. we don't tell them where it comes from ('...the first rule of smoke club is...') but buying goodwill in case we ever get raided!  Biggest question is we're waiting for neighbors to move in next door and their patio is adjacent to ours with little separation- no way to 'hide' our illegal activities so will probably have to pay them off too! 

Welcome to smoking in NYC...

below some chicken we smoked today- 225 degrees, 4 oz hickory for about 90 minutes then finished skin side up in the broiler 10 minutes for crispiness. 

Welcome to lazy Q

Check the truck that delivers your favorite restaurant meat.   Follow it to where its picked up!   I'd bet there is something in the area for a do it self person.  Short of $85 in tolls to hoboken

Don't tell your mayor you have an electric smoker.

#1 it sounds/smells like you smoke

#2 its not solar

#3 it requires processing protein

#4 The neighbors will serve you with a warrant for either nor sharing or smelling up the joint.

Enjoy though, it sounds like you are off to a great start.

Get a large cooler and make a road trip or two for meat pickup!   Get a Vac sealer and hunker down with some great cooks.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:11:40 PM by smokeclub »

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 11:39:46 PM »
Hey Nick, that chicken looks really good. And welcome to some great bbq, I forgot earlier to mention to you that I also have the #1 and it is really great. I foresee many happy meals coming your way, enjoy. Glad one of the locations was close to you. And if you have friends that are members of RD that is even better than the $35.00 membership to KCBS. Yes, Kansas City is really noted for their BBQ. And if you are ever back this way again you need to visit the K.C.BBQ store in Olathe. It blew me away the 1st time I visited them. Have a great weekend Nick & family.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 04:43:32 AM »
Hey Nick, welcome from aboard from Eastern MA! Great looking dog.....,appropriate security for your SI#1.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

drains

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:12:13 AM »
Welcome from Texas Nick! I see your already off and running with your #1. Great to have you with us.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Tyarra

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:09:55 AM »
Welcome Nick from another apartment balcony/patio smoker!  You're definitely in the right place. :)
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 08:18:38 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Nick!    The recommendation for RD is right on point...if you join the Kansas City BBQ Society for $35, then you can get one day passes to shop in the RD.   I recently picked up two racks of ribs, two Boston Butts, and a 7# brisket at the Delaware RD for about $90, less than half of what I would have paid at my local butcher.    The downside for the BBs, though, is that they come in 2 packs, so that's a lot of butt to smoke at one time.   Keep us posted on your smokes!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »
Nick, Welcome from SW Arkansas!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Tyarra

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
  The downside for the BBs, though, is that they come in 2 packs, so that's a lot of butt to smoke at one time.   

He does have a doorman and potential new neighbors to keep paid off, a 2 pack might not be enough!
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
LOL!  Good point...I ended up sending pulled pork to neighbors after doing 2 butts last week!   16# of BB was too much for me to handle, but some did get vac sealed for a later date.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »
Welcome Nick from Saint Augustine Florida!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 03:46:24 PM »
Welcome Nick!!  Glad to have you with us! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!