Author Topic: Little Guy Burn In!  (Read 9806 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Little Guy Burn In!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 01:41:27 AM »
The reason I suggest it as a sticky is that many of us agree that a Boston Butt is a great first smoke, and your brine thread is pretty much foolproof. Once you try this as a starting point, you can start experimenting with other methods. But for the first smoke, this is what I would recommend to everyone. And having it as a sticky would make it easier to find and point out to others.

We'll toot your horn for you ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 08:44:30 AM »
Thank you Gregg! I'll have to be honest though...being new to forums (this is the first and only one I happen to be a member of) can you tell me what a "sticky" is.
My name is Ken. Our home is in Bismarck, ND. Retired, married to the love of my life for 40 years, father to two, grandfather to seven. We love to travel and now I want to start "Smokin-it!"

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »
Ken...a "sticky" is a post that appears at the top of the forum board for easy reference.  If you go to the "Pork" forum, you will notice that the brine recipe now appears at the top of the forum board so that you can refer to it quickly without the need to search through the posts.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 09:02:41 AM »
Thanks Steve. I'm slowly coming up to speed with all of this. 😃
My name is Ken. Our home is in Bismarck, ND. Retired, married to the love of my life for 40 years, father to two, grandfather to seven. We love to travel and now I want to start "Smokin-it!"

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »
Thanks Steve...............I learned something new today "sticky"............
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »
I echo the sentiments about going with the Boston Butt.

Try Divotmaker's pork butt brine (Tony, I think this one should be a sticky):
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

Thanks Gregg!  I'll make it a sticky, if no one objects!  Don't want anyone thinking I'm just tooting my own horn!
Hey Tony, wouldn't it be better to have 2 sticky notes, one in pork and one in injection, brines area also?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 10:06:06 PM »
Thank you Gregg! I'll have to be honest though...being new to forums (this is the first and only one I happen to be a member of) can you tell me what a "sticky" is.

Ken, when I joined this forum, we had 155 members.  I had joined a few forums before, but never really participated; they were ones that I was seeking an answer to a car/electronics/etc. problem. 

When I joined here, that all changed!  I had a Little Guy, and was so impressed with how it actually worked, I couldn't get enough of the learning offered here!  Fast forward 2+ years, and I'm so proud of how far we've come!  What I'm trying to say is that you will learn how this all works as you go.  Steve told you what a "sticky" is, so now you know!  That's how we roll, around here - we all started out new to this, so we help each other learn the basics!

Feel free to ask anything about how to do things; you'll only receive help, not criticism, around here!  Any time you have a question that you don't want to post, feel free to send me a private message (or "PM").  New word for the day - PM! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »
Thanks so much Tony! Hey, I've never been afraid to ask questions. I can plainly see the passion that everyone in this forum holds. I think it's great! I didn't get my butt smoke in today as I would have liked, but I did pull off a nice batch of smoked King salmon that I caught on the Nushagak River in Alaska last month. Thanks again Tony!! I'm looking forward to making some new friends while learning a ton about the "art" (and it is an art) of smoking.
                              -Ken-

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 11:27:06 PM »
Glad to have you with us, Ken!  We'll make you a Pit Master in no time! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 12:42:28 AM »
Hey Ken, did you take pictures of the smoke with the fish? Would have liked to seen them. I bet that salmon was really good.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
Bill,
   I'm sorry but I didn't document the salmon smoke, but I will photograph the next one. As a matter of fact, when I smoke the next batch, the photo documentation will start with me holding one of the Kings in my hands in the boat and end with me cooling the end product on my kitchen counter.
    My new Model#1 is my first ever smoker, but I actually had gotten pretty good (after some trial and error) at smoking salmon on my Weber Genesis gas grill. But salmon is the ONLY thing I've ever smoked, so I'm pretty excited to throw a piece of pork or beef in that Little Guy!

elkins20

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:52 AM »
Hey Ken, Now you have another excuse to go fishing again. Just tell the boss you need to get some pictures. ::) So far in my #1 have smoked 2 slabs of ribs, a chuck roast that I pulled, a Boston Butt that I pulled and 2 containers of beans, own recipe of sorts. I finally have purchased mine a cart to rest on. Was tired of standing on my head to do anything with it. I used the seville cart from Sam's Club. Worked great.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 11:03:51 AM »
+2 on the Sticky. Some things are just worth it.....  ;)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 08:48:32 PM »
Thanks Bob!
Tony from NW Arkansas

sprin001

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »
I agree with the sticky. I took a photo of the brine and saved it to my phone.
Glenpool, OK.
Smokin-it model #1
Prefer mostly pork and some brisket