Author Topic: Little Guy Burn In!  (Read 9805 times)

ND PHOTOGUY

Little Guy Burn In!
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:47:15 PM »
WooHoo! Got my Model#1 Smokin-it! this afternoon and am one hour into the initial burn in. Trying to decide what to do for my first smoke tomorrow night! Here's a couple of shots of this new little "Bad Boy" in action. Cheers!
My name is Ken. Our home is in Bismarck, ND. Retired, married to the love of my life for 40 years, father to two, grandfather to seven. We love to travel and now I want to start "Smokin-it!"

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Little Guy Burn In!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
I smell wood!
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:34:19 PM »
Hey Photoguy, Welcome from Kansas City, I also have a #1 and my first smoke was ribs, smear some yellow mustard, add a rub, wrap in plastic wrap, let it set in the fridge over night, put on the smoker with 3 oz of your choice of wood. Cook for 4.5 hrs. check for doneness. While smoking do not open the door for the 4.5 hrs. I cook mine at 235 degrees. This is a quick smoke and to test the ribs you just need a toothpick. Insert it between the bones, if it goes in like a knife in warm butter and you can pull the meat without breaking the pick they are done.  Good luck.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »
Mmmm, I love that point when the smell changes from new steel & machine oil to good ol' wood smoke! :D :D   

I always recommend a bone-in Boston butt for pulled pork as the first smoke!  It's a very forgiving cut, and really lets your Little Guy stretch his legs on a long smoke!  Great "bonding time!" ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »
+1 on DM's recommendation. Get a good sized butt (9lbs+) follow all the advice on this forum and you will have a great smoke (and bragging rights on how long it took and what great skill was required to produce such delicious bbq!)
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

ND PHOTOGUY

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 10:47:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input. It looks like I'm leaning towards the Boston Butt. I'll be in touch.
My name is Ken. Our home is in Bismarck, ND. Retired, married to the love of my life for 40 years, father to two, grandfather to seven. We love to travel and now I want to start "Smokin-it!"

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
Make sure it has a bone in it!  Store packaging can be slight of hand.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

drains

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:11:20 PM »
+2 bone in Boston butt. Long smoke, great flavor and gets that bad boy good and greasy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »
ND Photoguy, would be nice if knew your first name, you could add it to the front in your signature line.  For my second smoke I did a 7# Boston Butt and it turned out great. I was thinking you could do it on the weekend and the ribs witnin the next day or so. Don't forget the pictures. Right now I have the point end of a brisket getting happy in the fridge.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 02:56:33 PM »
WooHoo! Got my Model#1 Smokin-it! this afternoon and am one hour into the initial burn in. Trying to decide what to do for my first smoke tomorrow night! Here's a couple of shots of this new little "Bad Boy" in action. Cheers!
Hey Ken glad your aboard! you came to the right place!these guys are awesome. good advice to follow.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »
Welcome on board from Saint Augustine Florida.

Greg

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »
I echo the sentiments about going with the Boston Butt.

Try Divotmaker's pork butt brine (Tony, I think this one should be a sticky):
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »
Welcome from California.....also a SI#1 owner..........Boston Butt was my first smoke and it was a bonding session, I just realized that.........you landed in the right place.........enjoy
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 07:17:13 PM »
I echo the sentiments about going with the Boston Butt.

Try Divotmaker's pork butt brine (Tony, I think this one should be a sticky):
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

Thanks Gregg!  I'll make it a sticky, if no one objects!  Don't want anyone thinking I'm just tooting my own horn!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 08:21:52 PM »
+1  make it a sticky...it's already in my notebook! 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2