Author Topic: Hello from Ohio!  (Read 5202 times)

wmakerrick

Hello from Ohio!
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »
Joined the forum from a long search on smokers. Looking forward to getting a #3. Hear the digital version should be out by spring. Have been running Bradley and Master Built with mods (smoke daddy) for a long time. Make a lot of sausage, so the accurate temp is a must for me. Have read lots of posts on the list and will be very excited to get the unit and post some results. Looking forward to exchanging ideas. Thanks for the add.
Rick from Grove City Ohio

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Hello from Ohio!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »
Welcome to Club Lazy Q!!  Glad to have you with us!  Just curious - where did you hear a digital will be out by Spring?

Now that you're here, we like to know our new family members, so how about a first name and town in your signature line?  We're a pretty friendly bunch around here, and that helps keep it a lot more personal than many of the BBQ forums out there!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

wmakerrick

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 10:59:11 PM »
Talked to Steve and he said he was thinking spring but no promises. LOL

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:23:38 AM »
Hey Rick, welcome from Kansas City, are you really going to wait until next spring to get a smoker? I was fortunate when I purchase a 2 year old #3 along with a cart and Auber at $450. These are very good units and I think you will be very happy with yours. Question what type of sausage do you make, is it Italian by chance?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

drains

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 01:30:53 AM »
Welcome from Texas Rick! It's good to have you with us! We have sausage makers here so you'll have some company. #3 is a great value when considering cost vs size, even with the extra shipping expense. I guess I'm just biased though! Anyway jump right in and enjoy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
Welcome from Eastern MA! The SI is a great smoker and the folks on the forum are always willing to help. Hope you will be sharing some of your experiences.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:51:50 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Rick!   You have made a great choice with the #3 and I see lots of happy smokes in your near future!   I am looking forward to pics from your smokes.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
Welcome from Saint Augustine !

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:13:38 PM »
No reason to wait, Rick!  Jump in, and add the Auber PID if you want tight control of temp now.  We've been working on the digital for almost 2 years now, and it's a big project!  No promises on when we'll see production.  You can't beat the standard smoker with the Auber, imo.  You can produce really great Q without the PID, but the Auber gives really tight temp control for things that can't handle a temp swing.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
Hey Tony, I have a really silly question. But, since we have the #3 with the Aubers. Don't we have the same thing as a digital controlled #3? Sorry have to leave the part and introduce the neighbors dog to Mr Beretta. Is dog good smoked, you all know my wife is Chinese. lol Got to run and get stuff for the injection for my brisket as it goes in the #3 in the am.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

wmakerrick

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 10:43:59 PM »
I have thought about that combo, will need to look at the forum for proper addition of the Auber to the standard # 3. If I decide to go that way might need some recommendations on the install.

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 01:13:41 AM »
Hey Rick, there are all kinds of instructions, the Auber has a section of its own. How to install a permanent wall mount, how to program for different smokes. How to do an Auto Tune. And most has very good pictures. I just did the install on my #1 and was very easy except for the rocker switch. I had to cut thru the name plate and also the top plate, Stainless Steel is not a picnic using a dremel to get a precise square cut. But, as I said it is very easy to do, most can do in a couple of hours.

Grampy

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 07:10:19 AM »
Rick, welcome from SW Arkansas!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 07:41:01 PM »
Hey Tony, I have a really silly question. But, since we have the #3 with the Aubers. Don't we have the same thing as a digital controlled #3? Sorry have to leave the part and introduce the neighbors dog to Mr Beretta. Is dog good smoked, you all know my wife is Chinese. lol Got to run and get stuff for the injection for my brisket as it goes in the #3 in the am.

Not a silly question, Bill!  Remember:  There are no "stupid questions," but I have found the world is full of curious idiots. LOL!!  Love that one!  Seriously, though, yes - what we have achieves the same end results.  The reason to make a digital model is for convenience and to be competitive in the market.  Many folks don't want to have to attach a separate box to their smoker, and do the bypasses and things we pioneers have done (they're lazy, I guess - go figure).  Just kidding, of course! ;)   A smoker, competing with the main SI competitors, that already has an integrated digital controller will be big!  Convenience, and accuracy all in one package!

Stay tuned...it's no secret we've been working on it for the last year and a half+!  Big undertaking, though - more than most can imagine.

Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 12:59:20 AM »
Hey Tony, I remember the post you had on it and the pictures. Actually I like the set-up I have now on the #1 & #3. That way If I do not want to use the Auber just flip a switch. Also would hope the digital control would be weather proof.