Author Topic: Brisket & Country Style Ribs Part 1  (Read 5414 times)

Grampy

Brisket & Country Style Ribs Part 1
« on: August 08, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »
This is part 1 of my 2 smoke day today. My wife's family was in town from Tulsa, OK and the nephews love my smoked brisket, so they requested brisket for dinner tonight.

Now, I am ashamed to say that I had to break out my old stick burner for this smoke instead of my SI#2. Reason being, the large 18 lb full packer brisket was not going to fit in my SI#2 without cutting in half and I didn't want to do that. So, I started with an 18 lb full packer brisket. Trimmed some of the fat cap down and rubbed it with Lotta Bull Red Dirt Championship rub. Into the smoker at 225 degrees with mesquite wood to an IT of 155 degrees (approximately 4 1/2-5 hours). Removed it from the smoker and triple wrapped in aluminum foil and back into the smoker until it reached an IT of 195 degrees (about 4 - 4 1/2 more hours). Pulled from the smoker and left wrapped in foil in a cooler with towels for 1 1/2 hours. Pulled and sliced. Turned out super tender and moist and everyone raved about how good it was. Overall, very successful smoke.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

drains

Re: Brisket & Country Style Ribs Part 1
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 12:43:31 AM »
Looks like you nailed it Jimmy! I bet there were some very happy and full folks around your house! Way to go!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:04:52 AM »
That is really a nice looking brisket, I have heard that people sometimes stuff them in the SI2. I take it you will be doing the country ribs tomorrow.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Wagon

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 07:53:47 AM »
I just read this and thought this has to be some kind of record, 225* and 1/2 hour per pound to IT 195*. What's your trick?
Kirk - South Florida   SI #2

Grampy

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »
Bill, I cooked the country style ribs yesterday too. I posted it under Pork if you are interested in reading it.

Kirk, by wrapping the brisket in foil it greatly reduces the time required to cook. However, it does change the texture of the meat somewhat but it definitely produces one very tender and juicy brisket.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:33:27 AM by Grampy »
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Wagon

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »
Thanks Jimmy, good to know. I personally haven't done a brisket yet and mainly read 1 to 1 1/2 hrs per pound. Should come in handy when short on time. Thanks again.
Kirk - South Florida   SI #2

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »
Looks like you nailed it Jimmy! I bet there were some very happy and full folks around your house! Way to go!

Thanks Dale, Everyone loved it. One of my nephews is going to school at OU for meteorlogy and spent the summer storm chasing from the TX panhandle up to Wisconsin. They traveled 15,000 miles in 7 weeks. He said he ate at a lot of different BBQ restaurants during that time and liked my brisket better than any of the places he ate. I take that as a compliment! ;)
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »
That's what we like to hear, Jimmy!   Congrats on a successful smoke!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 10:42:07 AM »
1/2 hour a pound is pretty amazing.  I wouldn't have had that right. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 01:56:01 PM »
Hey Jimmy, Do your wrap your brisket at an IT of 160 and then return to the smoker? I did this with a Boston Butt and it took less time. Was thinking and I know this really goes against a lot of folks here. But, in doing the Texas crunch can cut down on time in the smoker. Curious on your thoughts.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Grampy

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »
Bill, that is exactly what I did. I wrapped it when it reached an internal temperature of 155 then triple wrapped it in foil and put it back on the smoker wrapped until it hit an internal temp of 195. Wrapping it in foil dramatically reduces the amount of cook time. You have to be careful when you wrap it and really monitor your internal temperature because you can go too far and the meat will be mushy. You are also right in that it goes against what a lot of people on here like but as I have said before there is no right or wrong way to do it if it works for you!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:37:43 PM by Grampy »
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
Hey Jimmy, that is for sure, also my maverick runs about 10 degrees cooler than what it should. For instance I did a Boston Butt awhile back. The maverick said it was at 195 and when I checked with my Thermowork it said it was 180 degrees. Needless to say I put it back and brought it up to 195. But, will keep an eye on things when I do the Texas crunch. Thanks for the help in wrapping during the cook.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 08:10:39 PM »
Bill and Jimmy - Certainly no problem with the Texas crutch (sorry Bill, not "crunch").  It really does reduce the time of the stall.  I just find the bark is sacrificed in the process.  I prefer good chewy bark, not the foil-wrapped mush you get with the crutch.  But, like you said - NO wrong answers!  Just opinions, and what works for you! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »
Hey, when you are in a time crunch, use the crutch.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
Hey, when you are in a time crunch, use the crutch.  LOL!

+1!  Good one, Dave!! ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!