Author Topic: Thanksgiving in August!  (Read 15707 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Thanksgiving in August!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »
Greg - nothing better than turkey in the SI!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 09:01:13 PM »
Greg - nothing better than turkey in the SI!

Tony,

It is the one meat I have not tried in the SI, so I will put it on my list!

Thanks Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
They're so cheap, and really no harder than smoking a whole chicken, that I'm not sure why I don't do one more often!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 08:12:34 PM »
They're so cheap, and really no harder than smoking a whole chicken, that I'm not sure why I don't do one more often!

Tony,

I really love turkey, but the chickens I have done so far blow away any turkey I have ever done (super moist).

But I plan to at least to give it a go!

Greg

I could read a lot of threads, but what is your best recipe for Turkey?

Thanks.

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 09:53:16 PM »

Thanks.

Here you go, Greg!  This is the only way I do them.  Make sure you stay about 14 lbs or less...any bigger, and you run the risk of too long in the "danger zone."

Post-Thanksgiving Smoked Turkey
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »

Thanks.

Thanks Tony!

Greg

Here you go, Greg!  This is the only way I do them.  Make sure you stay about 14 lbs or less...any bigger, and you run the risk of too long in the "danger zone."

Post-Thanksgiving Smoked Turkey

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 09:33:17 AM »
Definitely try the brine, Greg, if you have not already for the turkey.  Last Thanksgiving, I did a turkey (brined) on the smoker and one in the oven for the family gathering.   The smoked turkey was completely gone but lots of left over oven turkey!  This year, I am going with smoked only, and  may add a turkey breast (smoked) for extra turkey just so we don't run out.   But the oven will only warm the bread this year.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 10:21:27 AM »
Greg, I did a turkey a while back and I have to say it turned out great. I use the bones of the carcass for Chinese congee which makes great leftovers too.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Tyarra

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
Greg, I did a turkey a while back and I have to say it turned out great. I use the bones of the carcass for Chinese congee which makes great leftovers too.

I use the bones for turkey bone gumbo ... also makes great leftovers.    But, I'm always eager to try something new - do you have a recipe you'd be willing to share for your Chinese congee? (I haven't checked the forum yet, so pointing me there is good, too!)
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 10:16:47 PM »
My wife who is chinese said, that this is rice porridge. In a sieve, rinse rice under cold water and let drain. Put rice, 8 cups water, and salt into a 4-qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the rice takes on the consistency of porridge, about 1 1⁄2 hours. Divide porridge between 4 bowls and garnish each with a drizzle of chile oil, scallions, chiles, and crispy shallots. Also this is a breakfast meal so often times she will just cook the rice until it is of porridge consistency, but will add maybe some ginger or JUJUBE fruit. Which is good for the blood.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:28:31 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 12:18:08 AM »
That looks fantastic, Libo!  Just for fun, try one sometime without the pan of veggies under it.  You'll get good smoke penetration on all that good bottom dark meat, and it will have brown skin all the way around.  No problem with the pan method; just try one for comparison.  Was that chopped garlic cloves I saw in the picture, in your mire poix?

Thanks Tony!  Yes, that was garlic.. A whole bulb of it.  And an apple.

I am planning on doing my next turkey without the pan

Fyi, I used 4.5oz of Cherry.  This Turkey took 6 hours to hit 165. Probably due to the pan. Still great!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »
Leah, congee is easy. The recipe I have from "1000 Chinese Recipes" book is 6C water per 1/2 C rice. I toss the carcass water first and go about 1 hour to take all of the flavor into the water. When I pull the bones out I take all of the meat off (I always leave a little extra on the carcass when carving so that there is plenty here), set aside, and then toss in the rice. Cook to porridge which takes about 1.5 hours. Add the meat back in and then salt and pepper to taste. Very simple and is always a fall treat.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Tyarra

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 05:58:01 PM »
Something to definitely try, thanks Bob!
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »
With the bird flu, turkeys have become pricey and hard to come by here in my neck of the woods. But I did find a Butterball (13 lbs) at Aldi's for $15.00. Right now this baby is thawing in the refrigerator and I plan to smoke it next Friday or Saturday.

The bad news is that it already has a 8% solution added to it, so I think I may pass on the brine and just go with the rub. From what I have seen here about 4 hours at 250 degrees in my #2 smoker should do it. I plan to smoke it in a large throw away pan to catch the juices. For wood I am thinking around 2 oz. of cherry?

This is be my first turkey, so any additional thoughts or input would be appreciated as always!

Thanks Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 01:32:12 PM »
You will be pleased with turkey in the SI.   At Thanksgiving, I do a turkey in the SI and one in the oven, and the SI turkey is the first to go...no leftovers!   I use cherry for turkey, usually about 3oz or so.   Enjoy!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2