Author Topic: Thanksgiving in August!  (Read 15705 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Thanksgiving in August!
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »
Brined, injected, stuffed and smoked!!!  Can't wait to taste it!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Thanksgiving in August!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »
And a little snack on the gasser while I wait!!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 02:38:26 PM »
Looks like a feast!

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »
And leftovers till November.

Good!
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
Libo, no worries, those veggies are going to be out of the park good.  EVERYTHING looks wonderful. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »
Thanks guys!  We've got family coming over today for a dry run to decide if we will smoke or fry for Thanksgiving. They never let me fry due to the clean up (their job). This year, they have 3 choices... Fry, smoke or a brisket!

I'm good with any of those choices!

This turkey was a 14lb'er in a solution of 8%. The Briner claims that is acceptable. Did a modified DM Turkey Brine (half salt and a few extra herbs), then injected with honey, white wine and butter.  Then rubbed it with Italian dressing.  I also put a cup of chicken broth in the pan as per Daves turkey post (no butter as I didn't see that follow up until she was already smoking). 
The Woodlands, Texas

Tyarra

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 06:19:37 PM »
That looks great!  I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale on turkeys!  Or not, if the bird comes out as great as it looks it will. :D

We've got a particularly favorite turkey recipe that we picked up from an Emeril Legasse cookbook, not a smoking recipe, but once we started smoking stuff, we figured ... why not?   We did it at oven temps (which we could do in our stick burner) and it was awesome.   I'm very much looking forward to trying it at "normal" smoking temperatures - and from ideas I've gotten from some other posts, I'm considering some modifications to make the whole thing easier.   
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 06:22:29 PM »
She's looking good!  She's just taking a little rest.  Poor thing is tired from being out in the heat all day!
The Woodlands, Texas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »
Wow looks like you are going to have an excellent meal!

Greg

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 11:32:04 PM »
Turned out fantastic!  The turkey was one of the moistest I have ever had.  Excellent flavor!

The only thing that could have been better was the veggies.  I probably should have added more chicken broth to the bottom of the pan as some of the carrots were not cooked as well as i would have thought.  However the flavor was great.  The sweet potatoes were fully cooked and fantastic!

Looking forward to my next turkey!
The Woodlands, Texas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:32:51 AM »
The turkey looks fantastic and I'll bet it was good!   How much and what type of wood did you use?  What smoke temp did you use, and how long for the turkey to reach your desired IT?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Great job! I bet it's juicy and tender. I like fried turkey too. The local Popeyes chicken joint fries hundreds of them every Thanksgiving. They do a good job.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
Great job! I bet it's juicy and tender. I like fried turkey too. The local Popeyes chicken joint fries hundreds of them every Thanksgiving. They do a good job.

I do my best not to eat to much fried food, but Popeyes is hard to pass up!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 07:50:41 PM »
That looks fantastic, Libo!  Just for fun, try one sometime without the pan of veggies under it.  You'll get good smoke penetration on all that good bottom dark meat, and it will have brown skin all the way around.  No problem with the pan method; just try one for comparison.  Was that chopped garlic cloves I saw in the picture, in your mire poix?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »
The turkey looks great.....

But in the past with smoking (not these smokers) chickens always taste better and are more juicy....

What is everyone's thoughts here, I have not done a turkey for the above reasons.

Greg