Author Topic: #2 smoker review  (Read 3835 times)

Jcnme

• Frank
#2 smoker review
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »
Review for the smokin-it #2.

Now that i've had my smokin-it #2 for a month, Here's my review :
I used a maverick ET 733, not for the ribs, this time for checking temps in the front and back of the smoker, on the same shelf of course.With ribs in the Smoker and temp set at 225°.
Initially temps went up to 285° in back and 265° in front. That quickly leveled off to within 7°-10° difference. Then on the next cycle it dropped down to 230° then back up to 270°, all the while staying within 9° of each other. Next cycle the low was 226°front-232°back, for the high 268°front-270° back, this heating and cooling cycle repeated itself throughout the cook. While heating up, they stayed within 2° and cooling between 7°. 5 hours later.
The ribs turned out great!! Fall off the bone tender.

My second bigger cook was was a pork butt. Only an 8 1/2 lb. Butt because I didn't want to ruin a bigger piece..Just in case.
(8 1/2 lbs.@ 1 1/2 hrs per lb.=12 hr cook @ 230°).
Rubbed the meat in with a dry rub,6 to 8 hours before cooking. Loaded the smoker with apple wood(8oz.). Two small aluminum loaf pans filled with apple juice, one on each side of burner. Not sure if I need them with this design, but I'm used to using liquid for moisture and didn't want to chance it, after all I was cooking for a lunch for 7 bikers. Set  the smoker for 230° put the meat in @9 P.M.and didn't check it again till about 3 A.M. Everything looked Great!!! Then at 5 A.M. I put the meat in an aluminum pan with about a 1/4 inch of apple juice and inserted probe( temp was 160° right where I wanted it) and covered with foil. 4 hours later the meat was 198° ,right at the 12 hour mark! Smoker temps have to be right on for this to happen! Took the meat off,rested it in a cooler, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours wrapped in towels. The meat was very tender, not mushy, and the taste was right on. Then enjoyed the lunch with 7 biker buds!!
Thanks smokin-it team! Also thanks for a great American made product. Keep it up! God Bless!! Frank.
It costs nothing to believe and everything not to.😇

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: #2 smoker review
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 12:08:01 PM »
Frank,

Looks you are knocking the smokes right out of the park!

Congrats Greg

Jcnme

• Frank
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:19 PM »
Thanks! This smoker makes it easier than most.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 06:04:07 PM »
Way to go, Frank!   Always good to hear the success stories!  Glad you are enjoying the smoker.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:35:53 PM »
Post that on Amazon and help the cause!

Once a month or so I get a question from / for an amazon review.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »
+1...great idea!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Jcnme

• Frank
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »
Post that on Amazon and help the cause!

Once a month or so I get a question from / for an amazon review.

I'm way ahead of you.😀 thanks for the idea though..

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 09:59:23 PM »
Maybe I'll be corrected on this, maybe not...............You might want to say American marketed product with American tested A+ customer service.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:20:36 PM »
Way to go, Frank!  Off to a great start with SI!  John's right - manufactured offshore, but it's a great American company, with great American-style customer service!  Unfortunately, in today's global market, American manufacturing would more than double the price of the smokers.  Sad, but Steve maintains very tight quality controls, and (as you've proven), the product is second to none!  Glad you have been so successful!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jcnme

• Frank
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »
Maybe I'll be corrected on this, maybe not...............You might want to say American marketed product with American tested A+ customer service.

I didn't even think of that. I'll have update it on the amazon posting. Thanks for everybody's replies!!