Author Topic: Hello from Milan, Tennessee:)  (Read 4643 times)

Pres228

Hello from Milan, Tennessee:)
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:09:10 AM »
Hello Smokin It forum from Milan, TN!

For several months now I have been researching and debating on which smoker I wanted to buy. (Saving my pennies too). I finally decided to go with a Smokin It #3. Yesterday I pulled the trigger and my new smoker is on the way. I am like a kid waiting on Christmas morning; I can't wait!!!

I am so glad to be connected to this forum. This is such a useful resource. I have been reading post after post and am learning so much already. I look forward to learning lots more from all of you.

p-diddy

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello from Milan, Tennessee:)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, p-diddy!   Nice name...same as my cat!    You will love the SI smoker...luckily it doesn't take long to receive it!  The forum provides lots of good recipes and techniques to try out!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »
Hey P-diddy, Welcome from Kansas City, I too have the #3. I got such a deal on mine from a fellow forum user. I was fortunate to get the smoker, auber, cart and cover. So far in the #3 have smoked 3 slabs of ribs and they came out perfect. Make sure when you get it to do the cure smoke for 4 hours. Then you are good to go. In my #1, I have smoked ribs, chuck roast, and a Boston Butt. All were very good. Have fun and post your results with pictures as we love pictures of BBQ.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Pres228

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:29 PM »
Swthorpe

Thanks for the nice welcome!! I very much look forward to getting my new smoker,learning from the forum, and hopefully smoking some great pork.

elkins20:

Thanks for the nice welcome!  Looking forward to all things Smokin It!! I will definitely follow the four hour break in time. Thank your the tip.

P-diddy

drains

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
Welcome from Texas p-Diddy! #3 is a great choice. You'll find yourself using it more than you thought you might. Its just too easy not to!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
Welcome p-Diddy from SW Arkansas! Congratulations on your new SI#3 you are going to love it. This forum has some great recipes to try and the people on here are always willing to offere advice or suggestions if you need it.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
Welcome P-diddy from Saint Augustine Florida.

Greg

Limey

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »
Welcome aboard P-diddy from the Keys. The #3 is a great unit-plenty of room for most everything. Looking forward to seeing you on the forum.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Trip

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Welcome from the better side of Tennessee, lol.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 09:41:04 PM »
Welcome to Club Lazy Q, P-Diddy!  You've made a great choice - you'll LOVE the #3!  It's called the "Big Daddy" for a reason (but I guess you can call it the "Big Diddy!") ;D

Hang with us when you can, and a first name and town in your forum signature line is nice; that way, we always remember our new friend's name!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pres228

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
Thank you again to all of you for the nice welcomes. I plan to utilize this forum as much as i can to learn from all of you. I have spent many hours reading throughout the forum and I feel well prepared for the steps to take when my smoker arrives.

I have ordered a smokin it #3, PID, and wall mount probe. Today is wednesday and scheduled delivery is tomorrow afternoon. (Cant wait!) The following are the steps I have learned from the forums and plan to take. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
1. Carefully unpack my smoker and vacuum out any styrofoam residue.
2.  Assemble my smoker (casters, racks, smoke box)
3.  Use supplied wood for "break in".
        A.  Do i use aluminum wood boats here?  B. 250 degrees?  C. 4 hours?
4. Install wall mount probe and perform rheostat bypass.  (After cooling)
     A. Is a nylon spacer included? B.  Should i drill a small pilot hole before my 5/16 bit?
5. Set up smoker for "autotune".  (Line bottom with Al, pencil hole, line smoke box top with Al, water pan beside smoke box, large pan of dry sand)
A. Do I use wood for this step? B. How much time is this step?
6.  Start smokin!! :)

Thank you so much for any answers and help.
P-diddy

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:02:35 AM »
I don't have a PID so I can't help with items 4-5.  As for step 3,you really don't need to use any foil for the seasoning run; just drop a couple of the dowels in the smoke box, set the SI for 250F and let it go for 4 hours.   You will see a lot of smoke in the first hour or so, and then the smoke will taper off (but it is still smoking, just not noticeable to the eye).   

During the first 30-45 minutes, watch the smoker to see if you get the "belch" that occurs if the wood catches on fire.  If this happens, then you might want to try the foil boat for your wood on your first smoke. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Trip

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »
With your break in wood, you dont have to foil boat.  Space them out in the wood box so you see how hot each section of your woodbox burns.  More than likely you will see the back side burn a lot hotter and maybe combust.

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Welcome aboard from Eastern MA.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 03:13:58 PM »
Hey P-Diddy, I can answer some of your questions, the nylon spacer does not come with the permanent wall mount sensor. I purchased a package of 2 at Lowe's, they are located in the speciality drawers in the Hardware Dept. The reason I stated all this when I went shopping the other night I stopped by customer service and asked where the nylon spacers were or the speciality drawers. They did not know, just happened to find a worker that knew exactly what I was looking for. The package reads as follows: Hillman Nylon Spacers 1/2 x .328 x 1. I have read that some do the smaller hole b/4 the 5/16 hole others say use a metal punch. I have not done this part yet as still waiting on parts for my conversion. For the autotune, make sure the sand is cool. You do not need wood for the auto tune, should run around 2 hours.  Double check me in the Auber instructions section and good luck my friend.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri