Author Topic: Temperature Issues - New Heating Element?  (Read 14800 times)

CUTiger80

Re: Temperature Issues - New Heating Element?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »
Hey Ravel, quick question, what did you use to test the heating element? I would like to test mine as I have a problem with my wood just looking like charcoal rather than burning all and just leaving ash.
Bill,
My "test" was to use a dummy meat load (cold, damp sand) and try to get the smoker temp up to 275 or 300 deg.  That will pretty much tell you if your element is working correctly.  My experience with other similar heating elements (water heater & oven) is that it either works or it doesn't.  There is not any in between.  If you have a volt-ohm meter (sometimes called a multi-meter), and have the back off of your SI, you can test the element by disconnecting the cables from it and measuring the resistance across the element.  It should be really low (say 15 to 25 ohms) if it is working properly.  (My new 800 watt element reads about 18 ohms.)  While you have the back off and the cables disconnected, go ahead and measure from each side of the element to the SI metal cabinet.  This reading should be infinitely high (or a completely open circuit).  If you read any resistance at all, you have a short of some type between the element and the cabinet (this is not a good thing).
If you don't have one, you can pick up a relatively good multi-meter on Amazon for $15-$25.  It is a very handy tool to have around.
I hope this answers your question about the element.
As far as the color of the wood, it seems that the wood will be black after a relatively short smoke and will turn to ash on a long smoke (like a Boston Butt).  Others on this forum have told me that this is normal (I had the same question).
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »
Thanks Raval, I think I have cold spots on my element. As none of the wood in the #1 ever turns to ash. But, yet on my #3 it seems to get some turn to ash. Also the #3 was used and maybe 2 years old. Not sure if the element is 1200 or not. I may write an e-mail to Steve and as him about both of my elements. But, the meat is coming out good. I wish you good luck in finding your problem. Especially with the chicken, and not getting done. I will also see if cannot find a decent ohm meter.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
Bill, is there still an SI sticker on your #3?  That should give you the stats on that unit. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 06:48:07 PM »
Thanks Raval, I think I have cold spots on my element. As none of the wood in the #1 ever turns to ash. But, yet on my #3 it seems to get some turn to ash. Also the #3 was used and maybe 2 years old. Not sure if the element is 1200 or not. I may write an e-mail to Steve and as him about both of my elements. But, the meat is coming out good. I wish you good luck in finding your problem. Especially with the chicken, and not getting done. I will also see if cannot find a decent ohm meter.

It's on the metal plate, on the back of the smoker.  It's 1200 watts - never been anything different in the 3.  Only the 1 and 2 were upgraded in size.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »
Thanks Dave and Tony, will check the back plates out.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

CUTiger80

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2015, 07:23:21 AM »
I installed my new 800 watt element last night and ran an autotune with a pan of cold, wet sand (it may have been too wet). The readings I got seemed a little strange (P=72, I=72, D=268). The previous readings with the 700 watt stock element was P=61, I=807, D=201.  Does anyone else think these numbers (especially the "I" value) are off? Should I run an autotune again with less wet sand?
Ravel

elkins20

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »
Hey Ravel, after installing the permanent probe on my smokers. On the number 3 mine was p=97 i=156 d=143. And on my #1 they were really different p=61 i=362 d=340. Which was strange as the AT was run at the same time and right next to one another. Tony/DivotMaker told me not to worry so much about the number and do a smoke to see if they are turning out good food.  Good luck

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
Hey Ravel, after installing the permanent probe on my smokers. On the number 3 mine was p=97 i=156 d=143. And on my #1 they were really different p=61 i=362 d=340. Which was strange as the AT was run at the same time and right next to one another. Tony/DivotMaker told me not to worry so much about the number and do a smoke to see if they are turning out good food.  Good luck

+1.  Either run a program with a dummy load to see if it is right, or smoke something.  Doesn't matter what the numbers are, if it works! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

CUTiger80

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 10:28:33 AM »
Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions on the PID settings.
I decided to run another autotune with a little less sand and less cold water (the first dummy load was a pan full of sand and I pretty much saturated it with ice water).  The results were:
P=68
I=100
D=272
I decided to go ahead and perform the ultimate test, and that was to cook something.  That something was a 2 lb. meatloaf.
The smoker appeared to perform perfectly.  The temperature got to 230 much quicker with the 800 watt element than it had with the stock 700 watt element and it stayed dead on 230 degrees for the entire cook.  In fact, I never saw it waver even a single degree until I opened the door at 3-1/2 hours in to apply some BBQ sauce to the top of the meatloaf.
Overall I am very pleased with the new 800 watt element and would recommend it to anyone who still has the old 700 watt stock element.
Ravel

elkins20

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »
Hey Ravel, Sounds like you found your problem. And am glad the meat loaf turned out very good. And also the smoker never varied from 230 degrees. I have a recipe for Italian meatloaf  that I need to try and if it turns out will post it. But, basically you mix the meat then roll out on waxed paper about 1/2" thick. Then cover with mozzarella cheese to within an inch of the edges and roll up cupping the ends and sealing the bottom edge. When cut looks like a jelly roll with cheese. But, first will try to see if it is good b/4 posting.

DivotMaker

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
Great news, Ravel!
Tony from NW Arkansas