Author Topic: First Whole Brisket in the #3 Big Daddy!  (Read 10635 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
First Whole Brisket in the #3 Big Daddy!
« on: July 26, 2015, 07:28:31 PM »
Picked up a 16.58 lb Angus "Choice" brisket, from Sam's, on Saturday morning.  This is the first brisket I've smoked that is that big!  I've done plenty of 11-12 lb briskies, but never a behemoth like this!

First thing that was apparent to me. was that I didn't have a container big enough for a brine!  So, after trimming, I injected with my brisket injection, and dusted the outside with Morton TenderQuick (for the "faux" smoke ring).  I vacuum packed the brisket, and kept in the fridge for the next 8 hours.

At 6pm, yesterday, the brisket was thoroughly rinsed, and then coated with Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce & Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning rub.  I knew magic was soon to happen! ;) Into the smoker at 6:20pm, with 6.5 oz of hickory & cherry, and 2 mini-loaf water pans.  Set the Auber at 225 until 195 internal, and off to do better things!

When I looked this morning, at 6am, the briskie was sitting at 161.  Eventually, at 3:15 pm, the brisket reached 190.  Judging by feel, I believed it was done, so it was wrapped/rested in the cooler for 1:45. 

The brisket was one of the best I've done!  Not only did it look great, it was juicy and tender, with a great flavor!  I saved the point for later (burnt ends), and had the flat slices on Texas toast!  All in all, a success!  TenderQuick is a good substitute to make a smoke ring, if you're unable to brine.

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Ohio1956

Re: First Whole Brisket in the #3 Big Daddy!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:32:52 PM »
Looks really good. That is a lot of meat!
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »
Thanks Rod!  Took up the entire #3 shelf, from end to end!  That was a big hunk a meat!!  I wanted my "first time," with a whole brisket to be special, and I wasn't disappointed! :-*
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

prudentsmoker

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:49:33 PM »
Looks great. How full were the mini loaf pans?
Brian from Wichita

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:53:36 PM »
You can tell that it was fall apart tender and if it was juicy to boot, that's a home run for sure Tony.  Nice job with your first hunk-o meat. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »
Looks great. How full were the mini loaf pans?
+1, 21 hours in my smoker and water pans are bone dry. 

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:06:20 PM »
Looks excellent, Tony!!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Limey

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 11:23:14 PM »
Very courageous Tony, glad it worked out..
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 12:51:26 AM »
That is really good looking beef Tony. Where can I find the Morton TenderQuick? As that smoke ring looks to be !/4 inch or better. I have also heard that cherry smoke will make a smoke ring. As I had a faint one on my ribs. But, that could have been the cherry/chipotle rub I used. Anyway very good looking brisket. I wish you would talk to Brian to get the smell app. working on this forum...  ??? One other quick question, did you cook it fat side up or down? I have heard that fat side up will add juice to the brisket.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:54:30 AM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 07:59:06 AM »
Tony,

Really nice looking brisket.

I also like the idea of the Morton Quick Tender, I know you said a dusting, any idea how much used.

Thanks Greg

mizzoufan

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
Morton's TQ can be found at most of our grocery stores, Bill.  Think I got mine at HyVee, but the other should have it as well.
Steven from KCMO

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »
Well done, as usual Tony!   The briskie looks amazing!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 08:22:47 PM »
Thanks, all!  I'll try to answer the questions!  First, in that big rascal of a smoker, I use 2 mini-loaf pans 3/4 full of water.  At the end of 21.5 hours, they still had liquid in them, although most was liquid oil from the rendered fat!

Tenderquick:  Any spice isle at your favorite place to shop - common.  How much?  I literally just "dusted" the meat, and rubbed it in.  I think the instructions said something like 1 Tbsp. for every pound of meat; I probably used 4-5 Tbsp. total (if that).  I just opened the bag and sprinkled, not sure of how it would work.  I rubbed it in and sealed the whole thing in a big FoodSaver bag (they make an expandable bag that will hold a monster piece of meat like this).  I rinsed the surface well, before coating with the steak sauce and rub.  I have to tell you, I was blown away with the results of the Tenderquick!  Didn't know what to expect, and was really pleased with the appearance.  This was 8 hours in the TQ.

Bill - fat-side down to protect the flat.  I don't trim the fat on the flat very much, and it shields the heat.  Fat cap, on the flat, was pretty much gone when it finished.  It's like "expendable insulation!"  And, cherry will make a darker bark, but will not produce a smoke ring; it doesn't penetrate deep enough.  The only way you'll produce that "faux" smoke ring is nitrites/nitrates.  Although it's only for appearance, and not taste, it's not necessary, but sure does look pretty! ;)

Overall, I consider this one a "win!"  I probably won't do many that size again, but it was fun!  And, I have a big point that will soon be some killer burnt ends! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 09:09:14 PM »
Tony, clod might now be in your future if you could find one.  I did a 17 lbs. clod on my first attempt. 

drains

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 09:20:39 PM »
Fantastic just fantastic Tony! The sams here never has briskets that good. And they want alot for them. Only select briskets never even choice and certainly not angus. Well done!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3