Author Topic: Why limit the temp to 250 degrees?  (Read 12156 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Why limit the temp to 250 degrees?
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »
The goal to this smoke is low and slow, but many are using the Auber to keep constant temp and achieve greater temp in the smoker.

So my question..... for those of us that are happy with the standard temp controller, the ability to set it higher than 250 degrees....

Just asking.

Greg 

drains

Re: Why limit the temp to 250 degrees?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 10:44:21 PM »
Doesn't the auber allow the smoker to operate at higher temps as well as offer better temp control?  Or does the stock controller have to be disabled first?
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:50:38 PM »
Maybe crispy chicken skin?  Bubbly and crispy smokey casseroles?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 10:06:24 AM »
Greg, I'll be interested to see is attitudes have changed much since I've asked the question back when I goy my smoker.  At one point, I'd heard that there wasn't an analog controller available that had temps above 250.  The rest of the responses were more centered around the frequency or need for higher temps not being worth it. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Ohio1956

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »
I would like to have the ability to smoke at 325 if needed. It seems like there should be an analog controller that would work. Just my thought about the temp.
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

mizzoufan

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »
I think it will come down to demand.  Personally, I doubt I would use it as I usually do any chicken for which the skin is important on the grill and everything else is at 235ish.  But, if the demand is there, I could see a change assuming the new PID controller version doesn't stop most of the higher temp requests.
Steven from KCMO

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »
I've always wondered why it couldn't just use an oven controller?  I would certainly use my smoker as an oven if it had the temperature range available.

Ohio1956

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »
I am looking into this, I thought about the oven controller. There is a guy not far from me who run an appliance shop and I am going to talk with him about this. There has to be a way.
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
I am looking into this, I thought about the oven controller. There is a guy not far from me who run an appliance shop and I am going to talk with him about this. There has to be a way.

Let us know what you find. I have researching and really not finding anything. I did run across a few cheap digital replacements that might work. For me I am not really interested in an auber, don't really care about temp swings. 

I found a Traeger Replacement Parts / Digital Thermostat Kit Upgrade for $69.00 that might work also I found a Digital Temperature Control Thermostat Grill Smoker Oven Stove baking cooking on ebay for $40 plus shipping. I am not sure how this would hook up, I sent a note to the seller to see if I could get a copy of the manual.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Temperature-Control-Thermostat-Grill-Smoker-Oven-Stove-baking-cooking-/111040589655

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »
Greg,
That ebay controller looks very interesting.  I have an old heating element in the garage and making me think about trying to build my own smoker. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:37:25 PM »
For those who just have to tinker, and want a higher temperature oven rather than an excellent low and slow smoker,  here are a couple of part sources.

Wattco - They make calrod heating elements

Tempco - They make bulb and capillary control units in analog and digital format.

Good luck.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »
For those who just have to tinker, and want a higher temperature oven rather than an excellent low and slow smoker....
I think that is a bit misinformed or snarky comment.  Personally, for my $1,700, I expect to be able to have both. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 03:25:07 PM »
No snark intended. But it does seem to me that the desire to have near (not actual) oven temperatures is the underlying motive. In any event components are available. So maybe I have misunderstood.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
No snark intended. But it does seem to me that the desire to have near (not actual) oven temperatures is the underlying motive. In any event components are available. So maybe I have misunderstood.

For me if it is easy, I would like to have the option. The ability to use one device to accomplish different things is not all bad.

Last week I could tell my wife was smoked out, so I brined a chicken and cooked it in the smoker with just a small amount of wood, very tasty. I might even use it as an oven, so I don't have to heat up the house.

Overall, super happy with my smoker, just always thinking :)

Greg

Ohio1956

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »
         I stopped at the Appliance Repair Shop today. He told me that everything he had was for 240V. After talking for a while he suggested that I contact a house trailer supply store in our area. He said that a lot of appliances in trailers were 110 and they might be able to help me. So I will try to get there this week.
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3