Author Topic: Why limit the temp to 250 degrees?  (Read 12158 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Why limit the temp to 250 degrees?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 06:13:49 PM »
         I stopped at the Appliance Repair Shop today. He told me that everything he had was for 240V. After talking for a while he suggested that I contact a house trailer supply store in our area. He said that a lot of appliances in trailers were 110 and they might be able to help me. So I will try to get there this week.

Keep us posted Rod!

Greg

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »
Now that I am home, here is a little more information from the companies I mentioned above.

http://www.tempco.com/Catalog/Section%2013-pdf/Bulb_Capillary_Thermostats.pdf

http://www.wattco.com/calrodheater.html

Contacting the company and describing what you have and what your intent is should get you the components you need.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:05:57 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »
Wondering if this would work in place of the existing controller?

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Johnson-Controls-A19AAB-10C-Remote-Bulb-Temperature-Control-200-550F
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 01:21:16 PM »
Dave, yes I think it would. I have used one of these in a kegerator I built from an old freezer. However in our application I think an Auber with bypass is a better solution. The Johnson Control bulb stat costs $145 and the Auber $200 but the Auber has much tighter temperature control (if you care, and I don't) but more importantly, to me, enables true unattended smoking with step function temps and a hold function. Just my 2c..
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
I would like to have the ability to smoke at 325 if needed....

...The ability to use one device to accomplish different things is not all bad...
...might even use it as an oven, so I don't have to heat up the house....

Agree with all of the above.
Flavors developed at higher temps can't be duplicated by adding time at lower temps.
My smoker gets used to:
  • cold smoke hot peppers for hot sauce.  Think chipotle but with habaneros, scorpions, datils or any pepper of choice.
  • common slow and low smokes in the 200F-235F range
  • higher temp (300F) smokes for steaks or rib roasts that get a reverse sear on the grill or broiler
  • chasing crispy skin at the moment at 350F, but haven't got there yet ???

I have an auber and I will be the first to admit, for meats, holding temps tighter than the stock controller (basically a P only, rather than PID) is a non issue. 
The real advantage to  PID controller comes for the cold smokes where an extra 30F can turn a cold smoked pepper into a dried pepper.
The other advantages to the auber are time and temp control.
Seems like there should be cheaper alternatives to the auber, but I could not find one.
At some point, I decide how far I am willing to go with the DIY stuff.
The older I get, the value scale tips away from money and towards time.
Joe, in FL
Smoking It #3, Auber PID WSD-1500GPH, 23cfm of boost

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »
Hey Funked, And if your retired, all you have is time can do a lot yourself. For very low price I made 3 seafood racks for the #1. I was able to get 3/16 SS bar for free. But, the ss wire mesh was a little pricy but still save money dim. And they turned out just as good as what Steve offers.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri