Author Topic: 2 racks of St. Louis Ribs....1st smoke  (Read 9558 times)

KAG

Re: 2 racks of St. Louis Ribs....1st smoke
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 01:28:58 PM »
So the AMZ tray won't stay lit so put wood chunks in the fire box.

Going to have to sort that one out later but will just do chunks for a while to learn this smoker. Maybe that in the SI3 the AMZ tray is strictly a cold smoking add on. From what I read......few have really ever needed the AMZ tray for decent smoke anyway
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:46:48 PM by KAG »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 01:45:29 PM »
KAG, the large baker's sheet between the smoke box and meat will probably play havoc with your box temp.  We went through this a couple of years ago with a bunch of folks getting low box temps, and the only common thing was the use of a large drip pan.  It seems to channel the heat up the sides, and makes the temp probe think the box is a lot hotter than it really is.  I'll be interested to see how your results are, it you have a box temp probe near the meat.  Most of us have found foiling the bottom is the best way, so there's no obstruction between the heat and the meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KAG

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »
When I added the chunks after an hour the digital temp was 197F and is located near the meat.

Interesting.......

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »
Hey KAG, My ribs are in and out now resting in foil, towels and a cooler. They cook in a little under 5 hrs. at 235. I love the #3 and the Auber. Now need to get off my lazy butt and do the Little Brother so both will be the same.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »
When I added the chunks after an hour the digital temp was 197F and is located near the meat.

Interesting.......

Yep.  38 degrees below setpoint...sounds about right, with the big cookie sheet.  Try just using foil on the bottom next time, and see if you get the same results.  It just "tricks" the thermostat in a negative way.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

KAG

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 02:25:06 PM »
Pulled the bakers sheet and I will check the temp in an hour.

elkins20

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 02:31:52 PM »
Hey KAG, Here is my post with pictures at the end of the smoke, before putting them in foil as they will be dinner tonight with a baked potatos and fresh tomato slices from the garden. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3783.0
Hope yours comes out good also.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

KAG

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »
Just sauced and wrapped, resting. Produced a decent candied bark

An Auber is in my future though.....of course just the first time actually using it but getting a stable temp is something I would like but that's down the road.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:42:30 PM by KAG »

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 07:42:39 PM »
Looks good, KAG!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 12:25:16 AM »
Looks mighty tasty...

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »
Well done, KAG!  Looks mighty tasty!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »
Way to go KAG! That got my mouth watering!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »
Good job KAG! That's a tasty looking plate.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

KAG

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
The overall finish was that I liked the bark, had a slight sweet caramelized chew to it. I like bark on mine. The bottom rack was more tender than the top rack of ribs. Found it more a kin to when I first started on a wood smoker years ago with temp management.

The digital temp probe was not very accurate as far telling what was really going on in the smoker. I think without an Auber there is a sharper learning curve to this smoker. Wood chunks did not seem to last the entire smoke with the chunks in the front seeming to burn more complete to ash and charcoal in the rear.  But the meat did have a smoke flavor but not a deep smokey flavor. The top rack I thought was a tad dry with the bottom rack (2nd from top shelf) being moist. Next time I may try the 2nd and 3rd shelves.

I figure it may take a 1/2 dozen smokes to get it patterned out. Figure next time I will just long ways split a smaller piece of Mulberry stick and lay it in the fire pan vs small chunks. Although the thought of sinking another $250 into it to get decent temp regulation is not a prospect I look forward to I will probably brake down and do it later. Plus the added feature of higher temps when needed.

For a first time run in a new smoker the food was good, but just a C for quality I think. People thought the sweet chewy molasses bark was really good and it pulled away from the bone easily. Just being my normal critical self as I always want a better end product.

Thank you for all the help

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
KAG, the ribs, for a first-effort, were a success.  It won't take you long to get the hang of it.  Don't over-think the need for absolute precision to convince you that you need it to cook great Q.  While I love the precision of the Auber, I can smoke anything just as well in my #1 with the stock analog controller. 

Here's my 2ยข on your first smoke:  Wood is not supposed to smoke the duration of the cook.  If it produced smoke for 5 hours of a rib cook, your ribs would be severely over-smoked.  You didn't mention how much wood you used.  I use about 3-3.5 oz for ribs, and they're plenty smoky.  You may not have had enough wood.

Next, you opened the smoker to mess with the cookie sheet, and not sure how many other times.  Next time, try to not reinvent the wheel; put your ribs in, with a water pan in the bottom, set your dial to 235. and keep that door closed.  Start checking them about 4:45 in, and go another 20-30 min at a time until done.  I know you said you've never used a water pan, but it does help.

We've spent the last few years (I'm talking about the whole group, here) trying to find techniques that work best in our smokers.  I'm just recommending that you try to duplicate what many of us have done with success, and then go from there.  If it doesn't work for you, then by all means, modify the techniques to what works best for you.  You can produce some stellar Q in your stock smoker, it just takes some practice!  Fortunately, this means you'll have to smoke more! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas