Author Topic: Exchanging power cables between the auber and smoker  (Read 4671 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Exchanging power cables between the auber and smoker
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:53:07 PM »
Hi All,
      I know I have seen this before on a thread here but cannot find it. And using the search brings no results. (Changing power cords between the auber and smoker) But, on my #1 the power cable is 12' or longer and the Auber has a very short cable. To reach my outlet the Auber cable needs to be at least 6'. And the cable on the smoker needs to be maybe 3'.
Thanks for the help.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Exchanging power cables between the auber and smoker
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:02:03 PM »
If it was me, I'd buy a 8' - 12' HD extension cord and cut one end off to the desired length and use that to rewire your Auber. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 07:06:21 PM »
Hey Dave, That is a great idea, also could just shorten the power cable from the smoker and put on a new end. Thanks... Also just so you know "Hey" is also an expression of Hello from people that live or have lived in the south... Just another way of saying Hi... Also new proud owner of Rickne's #3...
Have a blessed evening,
Bill
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 07:34:06 PM »
Bill, I did that on my #2.  I used a sub-zero rated 12/3 15' extension cord.  I put 3' on the smoker, and the rest on the Auber.  The smoker isn't bad - it actually uses spade connectors (I put it back together with heat-shrink butt connectors, though).  The Auber is another story.  When you remove the trim ring, on the back (snaps off), you remove the 4 screws in the case.  There isn't a lot of play, in the rear panel, so you can't pull it out very far.  The power cord is soldered in place, so you'll have to de-solder/re-solder the new wire.  Careful with the heat!  Some of the solder terminals are in plastic parts!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »
Well, that is just special, the plastic parts I mean... Darn Chinese.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:36:56 PM »
Not the Chinese...pretty common electronic parts, just have to be careful with the heat - they're not too bad.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:10:16 PM »
Finally installed cold weather power cords on my Aubers. The only problem I ran into was using my Dad's old solder gun. It would not heat up enough to remove the old wires. So off to Lowe's and purchased a new Weller gun. Then things went smoothly. I will also just make a 5' power cable for the #1. As Rick had already done this on the #3. I finished the work I wanted to do on the #3. I moved the switch from the back to the top of the smoker by the light. I also installed a permanent wall mount sensor. I also started on the #1, I installed a new sub-zero power cord, installed the permanent wall mount sensor. Just need to install the switch, I went with a dpdt waterproof rocker switch. I will finish this tomorrow and need to cut a hole for it. Also have to add a splice to the light cable as it was very short. Tomorrow will run an AT on both Aubers then will be done with my work on them.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:39:10 PM by elkins20 »

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
Hey All, Just finished work on the #1.   ;D Installed the rocker switch, believe me cutting thru the Smokin-It plate and the SS top was no picnic. But, I had the dremel and a SS cutting wheel(needed two). But, finally had the square hole the correct size. Would really be nice if dremel had a small grinding wheel to fit into tight areas. I also finished the wiring. Now just need to run the AT's on both smokers, then back to regular programing scheduled smokes. I did find the Cobalt titanium bits worked good and went thru the SS very quickly. But, as Super Dave says "Am glad to be finished with the adding the permanent wall sensors and switches.  ??? No more playing with the insulation or wiring and drilling holes in Stainless Steel.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:33:14 PM by elkins20 »

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
Hey All, Sorry about no pictures but looked the same as the others that have posted pictures. Only I have a green rocker switch on my #1.