Author Topic: Modified my #1 smoker,Auber Controller WS-1500E  (Read 6482 times)

abueter

• # 1 smoker, new to smoking but learning fast.
Modified my #1 smoker,Auber Controller WS-1500E
« on: July 12, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
I just got the Programmable PID Controller for Electric Smoker (WS-1500EPM)  from Auber. Wanting to integrate that into my #1 smoker,I removed the back panel and 3 layers of insulation and removed the existing thermostat that went into the box. I then fed the new sensor into the existing hole that was in place for the old thermostat and mounted it back into the existing mounting bracket. (I had to remove the inside mounting bracket with it's 4 screws and nuts, and then re-installed it). I also made sure the temp probe went into the back of the box through the power cord grommet, so there was NO drilling of any new holes. I then changed the plugs around on the Auber and the #1 smoker power cord so the Auber had the very long power cord feeding it, and the smoker had the shorter power cord connecting it to the Auber output plug. I did a test; now the temp holds within 1-2 degrees; before there was a 40 or 50 degree fluctuation!  I also installed a 17.5" by 17.5 inch wooden shelf on the lower brackets to hold my stuff. I'm going to attach some pics here if I can figure that part out.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Modified my #1 smoker,Auber Controller WS-1500E
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »
Looks like a good solution, abueter.  I'm not familiar with that model, but obviously it's a single-probe.  Should control box temp fine.  With the other models wall-mount probe, this solution wouldn't work.  Also, Auber recommends the high location due to the heat being most stable at the top of the smoker.  Your model may be different, don't know.

Now that you've joined us, head over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself!  Also, a first name and town, in your Forum Profile signature line, is nice, so we know who our new friend is!

Welcome aboard! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:00:02 PM »
Tony,
Is the 1500 model the correct unit for a #1?  I thought there was a different model Auber for the lower wattage units like the #1 & #2?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

abueter

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:06:46 PM »
The detailed model number is: WS-1500EPM, Programmable PID Controller for Electric Smoker
 Starting at: $140.00
  •Model: WS-1500EPM
Excerpt from the web page: Product Description:

This plug-and-play PID temperature controller is for controlling the temperature of the Bradley Smoker, Brinkmann Smoker and other electric smokers. The original temperature control mechanism of the Bradley Smoker is unstable and inaccurate. For the same dial position, the smoking temperature can vary significantly depending on content in the smoker, the ambient temperature, the wind speed, the ambient humidity, and even the direction of sunshine. This controller uses a PID algorithm to automatically adjust power to the heater, in order to compensate for these disturbances. This temperature control can hold the smoking temperature within one degree precision.

This controller is equipped with an industrial grade RTD sensor (class A Pt100 sensor). It is more accurate, more reliable, and covers wider temperature range than thermistor sensors that are commonly used in home appliances. Two sensor configurations are offered. 1) Multi-purpose RTD sensor, which has 6 ft long, double jacked three conductor, high temperature cable. It is can be used for smoker temperature control.

This seems to work perfectly, my good friend "Smoky" and I tested this and it holds the temp as expected.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
Okay, I was just going by the SI site.  Steve offers 2 different Auber models depending on output.

http://www.smokin-it.com/category_s/31.htm

abueter

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »
Ah yes, I saw that.  My purchase was based on the economics; I wanted a basic PID with just one probe; I had already bought the Maverick from Steve and didn't need another meat probe. Plus, this was the cheapest one that easily did the trick. Plus the unit I bought fit so easily into the smoker with no drilling any more holes; the probe fit right into the existing older probe holder. 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »
Do you mind me asking what the price differential was for the single probe? 

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:13:28 AM »
Hey Dave looks like there is a $30.00 difference. This weekend Auber had the WAD1200GPH on sale for $178.00 plus extra $3.00 for the permanent mount sensor. The 1200gph is what Steve has for the #1 & #2 smokers on the SI site.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri