Author Topic: First time smokin a brisket  (Read 7576 times)

Bobsmokinit

First time smokin a brisket
« on: July 18, 2015, 02:16:54 PM »
We just bought a #1; its seasoning now.  Tomorrow we want to do a 5.5 lb brisket.   We would love any opinions you might have because I'm not confused enough yet.  I have a read a lot of posts and here is the current plan.

Rub the brisket this evening, wrap the brisket in Saran and put it in the fridge overnight.   (I found a recipe with paprika, salt, pepper, chill pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin). Tomorrow morning put 4-5 oz of a combination of hickory and mesquite wood chunks in the box and start smoking at 225 with the fat side down.  We have an remote thermometer to watch the IT  but based on the charts I've seen, it will take about 8 hours (1.5 hrs per pound @ 225) to get to 160. 

I thought for the first time I would keep it simple, no brine, injecting or water pan but am only guessing that this plan might work.  Not sure about mixing the wood or the amount.  Would love to hear what people think.  Thanks!

Bob
Illinois

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: First time smokin a brisket
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 02:57:47 PM »
5.5 lbs means that you have a brisket flat.  Those are pretty lean and prone to dryness.  Brining, injecting or both would be worth your consideration.  You mention 160, what are your intentions at that point?  "Done" is closer to 190. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:59:31 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 03:15:02 PM »
I'm with Dave - at least inject a flat; you'll be glad you did.  And, I would absolutely re-think not putting a water pan in the bottom of the smoker; definite mistake, in my opinion, especially with a brisket flat.  Moisture is your friend!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Bobsmokinit

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »
Dave and DM,

Thanks for your help.  You are right, just looked at the beef label and its a "flat."  Ignorance is not always bliss as I didn't realize there was a difference. 

I will run out and get an injector and plan on brining tonight.  Any recipes for brine and injecting?  If I brine, should I just do the rub in the morning?  Will also plan on doing a water pan.  Thanks again!!
Bob
Illinois

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 04:24:51 PM »
Good brine and injection recipes in the "Brining" section of the forum.  Nothing wrong at all with rub right before going into the smoker.  And to your point in your first post, all these can be very simple.  Just more important that they are done at all than getting real sophisticated with it. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 04:51:34 PM »
Hey Bob, lots of great recipes in the Brines, Marinades and Injections board.  Here's what I do:

Brine for Boston Butts (and Briskets)

DM's Brisket Injection

Like Dave said - lots of good ones, and it doesn't have to be complicated.  A brisket flat is one of the hardest things to smoke and keep moist and tender.  Let us know how it goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Bobsmokinit

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 07:07:13 PM »
Thanks guys. Here's the plan The flat is in the brine, I'll inject with DM's formula early in the morning and coat with the rub.  Let it sit for a few hours and then to the smoker with a pan of water at the bottom. 

Not surprisingly, I'm still a bit confused. The time chart I was looking at did indicate an IT of 190 like Dave said but if beef is normally considered well done at 160, why do we smoke it to an IT of 190?     Also, since flats are difficult to keep moist, does it make sense to lower the temp from 225 down to something like 200 and lengthen the smoke time?  I appreciate all the advice. 
Bob
Illinois

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 08:47:39 PM »
It will be tough, at 160, Bob.  The higher temp renders the fat, because the meat will go through a "stall" (where the temp stops climbing for awhile) around the 170s.  This is when the internal fat and connective tissue breaks down, and the liquid rises to the surface.  When you're smoking it, and the temp sits still for a long period, don't panic!  It WILL work its way through it, and eventually start to climb again.   At 160, yes, the meat is "fully cooked", but the fat is not liquified yet - that's when the "magic" happens! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »
Bob, smoking meat low and slow is where by a piece of meat that is as tough as shoe leather can be made tender, enter the brisket.  LOL!   

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
I may be too late to this post, but I would suggest also allowing for a 2 hour rest period when you get to at 190IT.   For resting, double wrap in AL foil and put the briskie in a cooler wrapped in heavy towels.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Bobsmokinit

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 07:46:31 PM »
Guys,

I Followed all your advice  (including the 2 hr rest as suggested by Steve) and if the family is to believed, the flat turned out pretty good.  Not dry at all, maybe just not as tender as I was hoping for.  I did it at 225 on the SI 1 and it ran a little hot (we are still getting used to one another).  It reached 190 in about 4.25 hours - much faster than I had expected.  Next time might try to turn it down to 200 and see how that goes.  This truly is an art and I'll definitely enjoy the practice.  Thanks for all the help.   :)
Bob
Illinois

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »
Bob, part of the art is also cutting it correctly.  The brisket flat has long muscle fibers and needs to be cut against the grain to help get maximum tenderness out of it.  Examine your cut prior to rubbing so you can get a good idea which direction the grain is running. 

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 08:31:27 AM »
Way to go, Bob!  Looks like you are off and running, with new ideas to try out on the next smoke.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 08:12:22 PM »
Bob, part of the art is also cutting it correctly.  The brisket flat has long muscle fibers and needs to be cut against the grain to help get maximum tenderness out of it.  Examine your cut prior to rubbing so you can get a good idea which direction the grain is running.

Since the grain is almost impossible to see, after smoking, I use the trick of cutting about a 1" triangle off the corner, perpendicular to the grain of the meat.  When cooked, you have your cut line!
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »

Since the grain is almost impossible to see, after smoking, I use the trick of cutting about a 1" triangle off the corner, perpendicular to the grain of the meat.  When cooked, you have your cut line!

I must be getting better, I really don't had issues finding the grain these days. I used to put 2 toothpicks in the meat to show the grain, but your idea is easier!

Greg