Author Topic: Problem with wood catching fire  (Read 9578 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Problem with wood catching fire
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 09:24:52 PM »
I think you are off and running!  Lots of fun and good Q ahead.  Let us know how the chicken turned out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

sbebenelli

• Model 2
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 10:43:55 PM »
I still have a problem with combustion. I even had it once with foil on the bottom of the fire box. I broke down and bough cherry from Fruita and did a smoke today. Used 3 chucks totaling 4oz and within 20 minutes all 3 were on fire. I then lined the bottom with 3 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil and was ok after that.

This was a huge disappointment to me after spending a premium on wood to correct this problem only for it to still be a problem.

I've read posts were using the chip insert seems to correct this problem. How many use it and does it really work?

I don't want to buy it only to find out I still have the same problem.

On a good note I smoked chicken wings tonight and they came out great. I brined in a gallon of water with  1 cup kosher salt and 1 cup of brown sugar for 4 hours. Rinsed off with water and added a rub to them. Smoked for 2 hours with 4oz of cherry. I then grilled them for 10 minutes turning once to crisp them. I added BBQ sauce on some and ate some without. 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 12:07:26 AM »
I would try the ramp-up method. This is what I use and don't ever have a problem.

Smoke at 140 for 45 minutes then go up to your normal smoking temp. 45 minutes usually gets me through 2 on/off cycles of the element.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

drains

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »
When I lined the bottom of my firebox with foil my wood quit catching fire. It has never happened since. When I look in the firebox after a smoke what's left is the color of charcoal and very brittle. Nothing left really. Bought some better wood that I'm looking forward to using also. Welcome and good luck!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »
You just answered your own question. You said it seemed to be fine after lining the bottom of your firebox with foil. Doing that is cheaper than ordering a chip insert and paying the shipping on it. I have a #2 and had problems with the wood combusting. Since I started lining the bottom of my fire box with a double layer of aluminum foil I have never had another problem with combustion.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

sbebenelli

• Model 2
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 04:08:20 PM »
You just answered your own question.

How did I answer my own question when I said I've also had combustion using the foil? Yes foil prevents it most the time, but not all the time.

I bought this electric smoker because it was supposed to be put the food in and forget it. I don't want to have to babysit it worrying if the wood is going to catch fire.

Grampy

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 06:05:40 PM »
I then lined the bottom with 3 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil and was ok after that.

I would do a couple of more smokes with the 2-3 layers and see if that solves it. Bottom line its not going to make any difference in the final product if it combusts or not. When I was having problems with the wood catching fire the meat still tasted the same as it did when it didn't catch on fire. The only difference I can tell is the inside of your smoke box may have some extra soot under the lid.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »
I would try the ramp-up method. This is what I use and don't ever have a problem.

Smoke at 140 for 45 minutes then go up to your normal smoking temp. 45 minutes usually gets me through 2 on/off cycles of the element.

Try the ramp-up method and you won't have to mess with foiling.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »
I then lined the bottom with 3 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil and was ok after that.

On a good note I smoked chicken wings tonight and they came out great. I brined in a gallon of water with  1 cup kosher salt and 1 cup of brown sugar for 4 hours. Rinsed off with water and added a rub to them. Smoked for 2 hours with 4oz of cherry. I then grilled them for 10 minutes turning once to crisp them. I added BBQ sauce on some and ate some without.

SB - Jimmy was right; you did answer your own question.  Even the fruitawood is dry enough that it sometimes takes foil inside the box, or a "ramp up" method to prevent combustion.  You said you had problems, before the better wood, even with foil.  If the wood is too dry, nothing will help.  But, you said foiling the bottom, with the fruitawood, was "OK after that;" I believe that's what he was referring to.  Believe me, we're all here to help, as we've all had issues of some kind at one point or another. 

I have had combustion with fruitawood, too.  Not as much as cheaper/dryer wood, but it happened.  I have since switched to Smokinlicious.com wood, and it is head and shoulders above any wood I have ever used!  Perfect moisture content for smoking (which is what really reduces the chance of combustion), no bark at all, and excellent customer service!

One other thing - now that you're here, and participating, how about adding a first name and town to your signature line in your forum profile?  We like to know who our brothers and sisters are in the SI world!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 11:41:33 AM »
I also suggest using the ramp up method. I was first just using 140 temp. at 30min. and found that needed more time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:54:27 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »
I also suggest using the ramp up method. I was first jus using 140 at 30min. and found that needed more time.

+1

I have found that 45 minutes usually does the trick.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »
Hey Sbebenelli, I have been reading your post, 1st I know you have a #2. With that did you also purchase an Auber Pid controller? As with that you can program the ramp up. Otherwise you would have to do the baby set way and that kind of is a pita. Since you have had some fires change the locations of where you place your wood blocks. I find in my #1 can put the wood towards the back and just have charred wood. In the #3 I have to put it in the middle of the wood box and still get some ash. And as other have asked would be nice to see your name and address in the signature line. Good luck Amico/Paisano
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 05:55:49 PM »
Used 3 chucks totaling 4oz and within 20 minutes all 3 were on fire

One big chunk is better than 3 small pieces. Beyond that I have no advise. I toss in a chunk and turn on the heat, I have no issues, regrets or negative affects. No foil, no ramp, no worries.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
+1

Don't over think it!

Heat, wood, smoke, cook food to temp.   Spice, brine and sauce as you like.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA