Author Topic: Problem with wood catching fire  (Read 9579 times)

sbebenelli

• Model 2
Problem with wood catching fire
« on: July 18, 2015, 02:10:20 PM »
I just got the #2. When I seasoned it I suspected that the wood caught fire but I never opened it up to see. Smoke just bellowed out the top and the wood was just ash when the seasoning was done.

Today I'm using it for the first time with ribs. 20 minutes in smoke is bellowing out again and as much as I hated to I opened it up to find the wood was on fire.

The first time I used the wood that was supplied. This time I'm using apple chunks from a bag I got at Walmart.

I removed the flaming wood from the firebox and put aluminum foil on the bottom and tried another piece of wood. It seems as though it stopped it from catching fire but I'm concerned that with the aluminum foil will cause the wood not to smoke like it should.

Why am I having this problem?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Problem with wood catching fire
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »
With drier wood, we all have the same problem in these smokers.  Some buy more expensive wood with higher moisture content and some wrap the wood in foil or foil boat the wood to reduce heat and oxygen exposed to the wood.  After some more smokes in your smoker and trying different wood location in the box, you will learn where your hot spots are. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

sbebenelli

• Model 2
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »
Would it do any good to soak the wood in water? I'm thinking I have read not to do this with this smoker but I could be mistaken.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 03:11:18 PM »
Welcome, SB.

The question you are asking has, literally, hundreds of posts devoted to it.  Dry wood, and especially some of the "big box store" wood is prone to this.  Before we start to reinvent the wheel on this subject, I suggest you go to the "What Tree Do You Use?" section first, and put "smoke belch," "combustion" or "wood catching fire" in the search box.  You will find tons of answers on this.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
Would it do any good to soak the wood in water? I'm thinking I have read not to do this with this smoker but I could be mistaken.
Soaking the wood just prolongs the start of smoke generation and the results are the same once it dries out.  So, no soaking.  My method of choice is to reduce oxygen to the wood so that it smolders rather than combusts. 

sbebenelli

• Model 2
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »
Welcome, SB.

The question you are asking has, literally, hundreds of posts devoted to it.  Dry wood, and especially some of the "big box store" wood is prone to this.  Before we start to reinvent the wheel on this subject, I suggest you go to the "What Tree Do You Use?" section first, and put "smoke belch," "combustion" or "wood catching fire" in the search box.  You will find tons of answers on this.

I did do a search for "wood fire" and came across this http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=814.0 and was under the impression that this was not something that should happen.

You "DivotMaker" said:
"Absolutely contact Steve with pictures of your setup.  Sounds like something's not right.  These units are really tight (1/4" hole in the floor, and a vent hole in the top).  Not really enough air flow for flaming combustion.  I suspect really dry wood, but can't imagine any "fire," unless you're opening the door to peak.  That would provide plenty of O2 to set the wood on fire."

So that's when I posted my problem. I was in a little panic because it was my first smoke, I'm very inexperienced and I wanted to make sure I didn't ruin my ribs. I have been looking forward to smoking these ribs for a week and have people coming over to try them.

Putting aluminum foil on the bottom of the fire box fixed the issue for today. I have since searched the other terms you mentioned like "combustion" and that was more of a help to me than when I searched "wood fire". Those terms are not something I'd think to use and I thank you for that.

It appears this can be a problem with dry wood and putting aluminum foil down seems to be a fix.

I also want to thank SuperDave for the quick response and explanation of why it happens.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 05:06:11 PM »
SB, too bad your search only found a 2 year old post!  Believe me, this topic has been hot (no pun intended) since then!  We've all learned a lot about it.  You're right that foiling your wood, or the bottom of the smoke box, counteracts it.  I used to "ramp up" my temperature (30 min at 140, then onto cooking temp), which seemed to solve it.

What I've learned since, is the quality of the wood is the biggest factor!  Moisture content plays a big role in combustion.  A lot of the WalMart/lumber yard wood has moisture content as low as 1%!  That's almost kiln-dried!  I now buy my wood from Smokinlicious.com, with moisture as high as 33%.  No combustion ever occurs with it, but good thin blue smoke, and very clean wood (all heart wood, no bark).

I hope you didn't think I was being "short" with you, about your question!  It's just common that a lot of new folks don't take the time to look for an answer before posting a question that has had lots of coverage.

Let us know how we can help, and welcome aboard!

p.s. - a first name and town, in your signature line, is nice!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

sbebenelli

• Model 2
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 05:42:08 PM »
It's all good. That was the first thread that popped up when I searched and as it turns out it probably was the worst one that I could've read. I understand what happened. I was just panicked and didn't continue searching at that time.

Ribs have an hour left and looking good. Can't wait to try them. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »
Since these are your first ribs, start checking them at 4.5 hours.  Use a wooden toothpick.  Stick it in the meat between the bones.  Does it slide in, like a hot knife through butter, or can you feel resistance?  Can you pull the meat sideways a bit, from the bone, without breaking it?  If so, they're done!  If not, go another 1/2 hour and try again.  Same test, same procedure.  Baby backs usually take me 5:15-5:45 to be fall off the bone.  You'll get a feel for your smoker, and your taste, after doing a few.  That's why it's good to start a little early, on the testing, for your first smoke.
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »
DM is correct that this topic comes up frequently, but I can feel your pain when that "belch" lets go and you wonder if the SI is going to blow up!   Not to worry, though ... no one has commented on combustion affecting the final product.  It's more of a nuisance than anything.    Using good wood with higher moisture content is a good move, soaking the wood does not help.   Foiling the wood in the box or covering the bottom of the smoke box with foil will work, as well as the ramp up method that DM used.   I have found that placing the wood in the back of the box closest to the back wall of the smoker works for me (I have a #2), and I don't need to foil the wood.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Limey

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
I leave the chip screen in all the time, don't foil, and have never had a problem, even with Home Depot type wood.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

sbebenelli

• Model 2
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
Thank you all for the replies.

The spare ribs came out with great flavor but a little tougher than I would like. I feel like I didn't cook them quite long enough. I did the 3-2-1 method but probably didn't add enough extra time after dealing with the wood catching fire. I cooked at 225 and noticed the temp dropping to 197 when the thermostat turned off. I wonder if I should bump it up to 230 to help with the temp drop.

I smoked some burgers today with foil on the bottom of the heat box. Worked like a champ.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »

The spare ribs came out with great flavor but a little tougher than I would like. I feel like I didn't cook them quite long enough. I did the 3-2-1 method but probably didn't add enough extra time after dealing with the wood catching fire. I cooked at 225 and noticed the temp dropping to 197 when the thermostat turned off. I wonder if I should bump it up to 230 to help with the temp drop.

I smoked some burgers today with foil on the bottom of the heat box. Worked like a champ.
Never believe that something is done just because of the clock.  With ribs, it is simply a gauge to know when to start testing.  I prefer to use a toothpick between the bones to determine when they are really ready.  If there is a little tug when removing the toothpick, go another 15 minutes and try again until is no resistance. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 08:09:29 PM »

Never believe that something is done just because of the clock.  With ribs, it is simply a gauge to know when to start testing.  I prefer to use a toothpick between the bones to determine when they are really ready.  If there is a little tug when removing the toothpick, go another 15 minutes and try again until is no resistance.

+1!  When we talk about "5 hours, no peek" method, the time is just a guideline.  You'll get used to your smoker, and know - by feel - when they are "just right," for your taste!  Takes practice, practice, and some more practice!  (Oh darn!).
Tony from NW Arkansas

sbebenelli

• Model 2
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 10:58:12 PM »
Thank you all for your help and advice. Planning on doing a chicken tomorrow.