Author Topic: Chuck Roast Baked Potatoes  (Read 3730 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Chuck Roast Baked Potatoes
« on: July 12, 2015, 09:08:14 PM »
Started with a nicely marbled 2.7 lbs chuck roast that I rubbed and put in the smoker at 235 for 3 hours with a couple strips of bacon to help retain some moisture.  Roast was direct on the rack.

At the 3 hour mark I was at approx. 155 IT.  I pulled the roast off and foil wrapped with the addition of a little beef broth.

When the meat is done, I use some of the smoky juices to make my favorite gravy.

Completely load up a baked potato, lay some slices of beef over the top and cover in gravy.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Chuck Roast Baked Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
Looks great, Dave!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KY Smoke

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:35:30 PM »
Looks awesome Dave!  Have a question though?  When you pulled the roast at the 3 hr mark (IT 155) and added beef broth and foil wrapped it, did you continue to smoke longer or just let it rest in the broth?   Trying to confirm where you got the "smoky juices" from to make the gravy, as this is definitely something I want to have a go at!  :)  Thanks......Jeff

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 10:56:45 PM »
Jeff, I continued to cook to 192.  The broth and released juices in the pan have a rich savory and smoky flavor.  This is the only way to make gravy. 

KY Smoke

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:15:36 PM »
Great! Thanks Dave....Wanted to be sure what your completed IT temp was. Also too, what's your wood preference with this Chuck prep and about how many ounces?  Thanks again Dave.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »
I used 2 oz. of oak and 2 ounces of hickory.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 07:29:46 PM »
Dave,

It really looks tasty, but not sure about that green stuff, that almost looks healthy :)

Greg

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »
Looks Great.............you smoked unit IT 192........ total time?...........without the broth would it have been a bit dry?
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 09:22:07 PM »
Looks Great.............you smoked unit IT 192........ total time?...........without the broth would it have been a bit dry?
Total time was about 4 1/2 hours.  "a bit dry" is probably subjective.  I like to foil most all my meats for steam effect, unlike most others here that prefer "no peek" method.  I love the pan juices this provides so it is just part of my standard procedure I guess. 

KY Smoke

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 10:23:15 PM »
One last thing Dave.....are you covering with foil the last hour and a half....after you've added the broth?  Or are you just referring to the foil pan, to hold the juices?   Want to make sure I get this right, because I showed my wife your pictures and I'll have a disappointed "camper" if it doesn't turn out as good as yours looks!   ;) 

Thanks for all of the info Dave.......Jeff

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »
Jeff, tight foil wrap on the pan.