Author Topic: Bottom foil  (Read 16363 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Bottom foil
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
The only downside is the inability to mold the pan up the sides as you can with foil, unless the fit is very snug.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 08:09:08 PM »
Could a quality bakers sheet work?

They make them very close in the size needed. Slide in, slide out

I wouldn't mess with that.  The liquid needs to drain down the sloped floor, and out the drain hole.  Plus, I think you would find this would be very close to the bottom of the smoke box.  Not worth messing with, just go "easy" and use foil!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 06:53:10 PM »
I never thought foil on the bottom of the SI would be such an issue.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 07:02:43 PM »

+1! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 07:04:52 PM »

+1! ???
See what you guys get for thinking?  LOL!
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 07:07:50 PM »
Yeah, Dave...lol!  I guess that's one area that I always thought fell into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" category.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 08:30:48 PM »
Since we are on this subject sort of how do you all feel about using a power washer to clean the bottom occasionally? And then drying really good.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 08:33:22 PM »
Since we are on this subject sort of how do you all feel about using a power washer to clean the bottom occasionally? And then drying really good.

Wouldn't hurt a thing, but I'd consider it overkill (I have a power washer).  Just a simple wipe down, with paper towels, is good enough for me.  About once a year, when the buildup just gets to bad, I strip the inside with EZ Off and re-season!
Tony from NW Arkansas

drains

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 09:33:40 PM »
I'm not going to clean and or reseason mine unless it gets so bad that the door won't shut! I've had to smoke a lot of fat and greasy pork butts to get just the right patina on my little buddy. I don't even consider it dirty, only encrusted with all the delicious tastes and smells that keep me coming back again and again to the magical land of LazyQ.  ;)
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 12:10:17 AM »
Ok OK I just on the Lazy side, and the power washer is in the garage. I thought hmmmmm maybe. I like the easy off idea also. And Dale I was letting mine go until the foil started sticking to the floor. The sides and door yes have not touched it. But, the floor is another matter. lol
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

drains

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 12:47:27 PM »
Even though i foil the bottom some seems to always get underneath and i just wipe it out when i change the foil. Nothing to it.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

mizzoufan

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
+1.  I have some old dishrags that I keep out with the smoker (and run through the dishwasher with the racks and such instead of the washing machine to keep grease out of there) that I use with hot water to wipe off and sorta scrub the smoker before I put it away.  Keeps the grease down to a minimum for health and fire safety issues and keeps my seasoning intact.
Steven from KCMO

bigfoot21075

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
I tried large foil pans from Rest depot when I first got my #3, it had an adverse effect of the evenness of cooking. I also tried covering the floor of the cooker with foil, total waste off foil and time. After that I only foil the lid of the wood house, NOTHING else ever. I have an old wood spatula I run across the bottom to get any standing liquid or chunks out, other than that it is all seasoning. I have never understood why some people clean their pits. Dozens and dozens of cooks later, I am still producing wonderful food with this thing.
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

Check-My-Que

• Smokin-It Model 3 and Lang 48 Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »
The advantage of the foil is it will contour to the slope of the bottom of the smoker. In this way the liquid will go to the hole and drip pan. But it would be interesting to know how the lid works.  However using a couple of feet of HD foil would be less expensive.

I pulled mine out last night (first smoke run with food) when it was still warm. It was a little sticky but came out, it might have really stuck if I had let it cool down all the way. 
Peter - Merritt Island, Florida
Model 3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 01:39:21 AM »
Reynolds makes a foil that is one notch heavier than Heavy Duty. It is called "Super Strength". That's what I use for lining the bottom. Grease is going to get under there no matter what, but the heavier foil lifts off easier. As far as cleaning the bottom, I don't obsess about it. I use an old plastic credit card to scrape off any loose gunk. Then wipe it out with paper towels. There is no need to get it perfect. Considering all the dripping fat and smoke that goes on inside these things, I consider them really easy to clean and maintain. I also thought I read somewhere on this forum that you should not put any sort of drip pan on a rack beneath your meat as it messes with the temperature reading, even cooking, smoke flow, or something...
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide