Author Topic: Large Rump Roast.....Burnt End Method?  (Read 2291 times)

KY Smoke

Large Rump Roast.....Burnt End Method?
« on: July 10, 2015, 10:16:29 PM »
After reading Tony's post about the burnt ends method on Chuck Roasts, got me keeping my eye out for something similar.  So I found a 3 lb Prime Choice Rump Roast that was discounted at Walmart, due to sell date.  Still had two days left though....so win-win!

So injected with the DM brisket injection recipe.  Didn't have a Foster's, but did add some Red's Wicked Apple Ale.  Pretty good addition! 

Then took my standard rub for Pork and added Oregano, Ancho Chile Pepper, and a lot more course ground pepper.   Then slathered the Roast with the rub and wrapped it up in plastic wrap.  Chilling in the fridge until tomorrow morning and then to the smoker at 225F for 3.5 hrs.  Will then pull and cube and add some "Kickin Sauce" and some more Mod Rub.  Then back in for another 1.5 hrs to add the final love! 

Should be some good eatin for lunch tomorrow, while the wife is at a wedding shower!  May save her a couple of pieces.....  8)

Will welcome any additional advice that would help in any way!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Large Rump Roast.....Burnt End Method?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »
Since the rump roast is more lean than a chuck, you may want to initially smoke it to about 180 internal temp (don't just go by time).  That way, it won't dry out too much when you cube it.  Don't be afraid to include some honey in the sauce for the burnt ends - I think it really helps!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KY Smoke

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
Good info.  Was wondering about the difference in the cut, and if I would run into a drying issue.  Will definitely add some honey as well to the sauce.  Thanks Tony.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:36:47 PM »
Let me know how they work out!  I, too, was worried about drying.  I'm "all in" on experimentation, so I hope this works out well!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!