Author Topic: Seasoning the little guy  (Read 9078 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Seasoning the little guy
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 12:36:58 PM »
Hey Dale am surprised you did not get the chip screen with your smoker. I received it and the rib hooks with mine. Also had the cord hooks not sure why I received all three but figured I was lucky.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
At different times during the year, Steve runs specials on SI smokers where he throws in different items.  I suspect the deals were different at the times of purchase.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
I got a cover and rib hooks. I lined the bottom of the smoke box with foil and used cherry wood chips to smoke a chicken Sunday and it worked great.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »
Sounds good, Dale!   The purpose of the chip screen is to keep wood chip ashes from dropping down on the heating element, but foil accomplishes the same thing!     Cherry wood and chicken is a match made in Heaven!    Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »
Are wood chip ashes getting to the heating element a problem? I have chip screen but I didn't know of a concern for keeping ashes away from element?
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »
Are wood chip ashes getting to the heating element a problem? I have chip screen but I didn't know of a concern for keeping ashes away from element?
No, it is not a problem.  I've added wood under my box in the middle of the smoke and had the chunk touching the underside of the element. 

If you have ever seen these charcoal starters, think smoker element buried in hot coals.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:47:06 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »
The SI site under accessories indicates:  "Run out of wood chunks, and all you have is wood chips? With the chip insert, you can place smaller pieces of wood in your wood box without them falling down onto the heating element."   This seems to be the purpose of the chip screen, along with keeping the ashes in the box where they belong.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Limey

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
In my experience the chip screen also helps to cut down, or totally prevent, the dreaded belch.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.