Author Topic: Smoker box revision?  (Read 12257 times)

va_rider

Smoker box revision?
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:52:16 AM »
So, I got the chip screen when I bought my smoker, and I haven't used chips in it yet, but I spent a lot of time looking at it, and didn't understand the need for it.

Then, I got to looking around on the website, and noticed that my smoker box doesn't look anything like the smoker boxes on the website.

My smoker box doesn't have any holes in the bottom of it. just holes in the sides. The bottom of the box is solid. Has there been a revision? or was my box just not drilled?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

Trip

Re: Smoker box revision?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:01:01 AM »
Have you had any issues with smoke production with the reduced airflow?  May want to give Steve a call and see if he changed it up.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:25:15 AM »
Love the idea of a box with no holes in the bottom.  Wish I had your model, I'd swap you. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »
So, I got the chip screen when I bought my smoker, and I haven't used chips in it yet, but I spent a lot of time looking at it, and didn't understand the need for it.

Then, I got to looking around on the website, and noticed that my smoker box doesn't look anything like the smoker boxes on the website.

My smoker box doesn't have any holes in the bottom of it. just holes in the sides. The bottom of the box is solid. Has there been a revision? or was my box just not drilled?

I am confused, the photo you are showing is the one from the website or yours. For me this looks like the one on Steve's website?

Thanks Greg

va_rider

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »
Sorry, I realized that might be confusing after posting. That's Steve's picture from the website. I'm at the office and can't take a picture of the one at home until later tonight. But, picture the same thing, but no holes in the bottom of the box. Just solid steel.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

va_rider

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »
Have you had any issues with smoke production with the reduced airflow?  May want to give Steve a call and see if he changed it up.

Umm.... I'm not sure? I guess is the best answer. I have nothing to compare it to, but the food taste plenty smoky. After a 8-10 hour smoke though, I still have a big black chunk of wood in the box... So I suppose that maybe I'm not getting as much smoke as I could be? I'd hate to even bother Steve with something like this, I'm more curious than anything else. I didn't notice until I was looking through the website this morning, looking to buy a stand for my #2, some Oak, and maybe that Sasha Flavor Savor pan... then I looked at the replacement parts just to see if there was a diagram or something on the chip screen to see if I was looking at using it the wrong way, and realized that my smoker box looked very different from what was there.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 11:07:40 AM »
Sorry, I realized that might be confusing after posting. That's Steve's picture from the website. I'm at the office and can't take a picture of the one at home until later tonight. But, picture the same thing, but no holes in the bottom of the box. Just solid steel.

That's makes sense!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »
My #2 is a couple years old now, but my smoker box has a solid bottom...the only holes are on the sides of the box.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Trip

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:26:03 AM »
Umm.... I'm not sure? I guess is the best answer. I have nothing to compare it to, but the food taste plenty smoky. After a 8-10 hour smoke though, I still have a big black chunk of wood in the box... So I suppose that maybe I'm not getting as much smoke as I could be? I'd hate to even bother Steve with something like this, I'm more curious than anything else. I didn't notice until I was looking through the website this morning, looking to buy a stand for my #2, some Oak, and maybe that Sasha Flavor Savor pan... then I looked at the replacement parts just to see if there was a diagram or something on the chip screen to see if I was looking at using it the wrong way, and realized that my smoker box looked very different from what was there.

You could probably get a bit more smoke and reduce it to ash with a bit more air, but if you are getting good bark and taste, no need to really mess with it.

I'd be curious about it myself and would ask Steve, by email if you don't want to dial him up.  He's been really friendly and helpful when I had to call him with my initial issues.

va_rider

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 11:30:13 AM »
Thanks, I did just shoot him an email. I've had satisfactory bark on a couple smokes, but nothing I'd call great bark. I wonder if this is the reason... Although, it appears that I'm not the only one with a solid bottom box, looking at the comment above. I'll report back with Steve's answer.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 11:33:58 AM »
My #2 unit is around 4 months and it has holes in the bottom!

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »

Greg
Greg,
Did your #2 come with the 800W element?  If Aaron's wasn't a mistake, I'm wondering if it is related to the new, stronger element?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »

Greg
Greg,
Did your #2 come with the 800W element?  If Aaron's wasn't a mistake, I'm wondering if it is related to the new, stronger element?

Dave,

Yes 800 Watt unit...

Greg

Carp210

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 04:39:24 PM »
My #2 has holes in bottom and is the 800 watt.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

va_rider

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
Mine is only a month old, how do I check the wattage?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2