Author Topic: Brisket #4 on my #3  (Read 3640 times)

TexasSmoke

Brisket #4 on my #3
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:56:31 AM »
With 3 briskets under my belt I wanted to do a test smoke without the pressure of a bunch of folks to feed.  I also wanted to give the new perm temp probe a test run.  It was +/- 0 all day..locked on 225.  So I did a smoke today for the wife and I.....I think I know what we are having for dinner all week.

My first brisket was perfect (Beginners luck!).  #2 and #3 were a bit over and were so tender they fell apart.
So my goal today was to get them a little closer to the tenderness I was looking for.  I also wanted to give some burnt ends a try.  We don't see many folks do them here in TX.

I started with a 12.5 lbs Prime brisket.  I injected with beef broth and slathered on some olive oil and then some beef rub.  I had it in the fridge for a couple of hours.  I used about 6 1/2 oz of oak and hickory in foil boats.  I cooked fat side down with the point in the rear of the smoker.  I ran the auber for 30 minutes @ 140 and then went to 225. I was shooting for an IT of 190 as 195 was what I did before and was over.

Once I hit 190 I separated a cubed the point.  I added a little sauce and put them in a pan and back to the smoker for about 2 hours.  While the burnt ends were going I double wrapped the flat and gave it a rest.

RESULTS:  I was very happy with my burnt ends as a first pass.  They needed a bit more rub on top to give a little more bark.

Now the flat was a little under this time but I am getting closer.  I think the issue was I had the meat probe in the flat coming in from the side.  I was right next to the point and I don't think I got a good read on the flat.  This was also a lesson that the IT will get me close but I need to trust the look and fell as well.  It did not have the wobble I was looking for or did it feel like butter when I probed the flat.  I thought the 2 hour rest in foil would get me there but not all the way.

FOR NEXT TIME:  I will rub and rest in the frig overnight.  I will pull back to about 5oz of wood, I will put the probe in the middle of the flat, still coming in from the sides.  I may try the point in the front of the smoker.  I like the idea of having the burnt ends going while the flat is resting.  Go for an IT of 190 and trust the look and feel.  Get a better knife cutting thinner PERFECT slices.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:02:01 AM by TexasSmoke »
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Brisket #4 on my #3
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 07:58:09 AM »
Ron,

Looks like a really nice smoke, thanks also for all the details!

Greg

drains

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »
Good job Ron! Those burnt ends look delicious! What rub did you use?
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:31:35 AM »
Ron, guessing by temperature will be a frustrating way to judge your briskets.  My recommendation is to start with a temperature that might be on the light side like your 190 and probe it for doneness.  A temperature probe or toothpick should slide in and out like butter.  When there is a little tug to get the probe or toothpick out, cook another 20 to 30 minutes and test again until you are spot on. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

KY Smoke

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 12:44:35 PM »
Results still look good enough to eat Ron!  :P  Great job!!

Since I have not had a chance to smoke brisket in my new #3 yet, your details will definitely come in handy for when I actually do.  A lot of really good information for folks that are also trying to figure everything out with this smoker!  It seems to be a whole new world....

Jeff

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
Looks great, Ron!  Don't be afraid to really kick-up the flavor on those burnt ends!  I use sauce, honey and plenty of rub...it all cooks down to a really good bark, and turns those ends into incredible meat candy! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jdwoods

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »
Is it standard operating procedure to cover (or, in this case "double wrap") the burnt ends when going back into the pit? I have never had burnt ends and am really interested in cooking and trying it out.
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:36:57 PM »
Is it standard operating procedure to cover (or, in this case "double wrap") the burnt ends when going back into the pit? I have never had burnt ends and am really interested in cooking and trying it out.

No!  They need to be open to the smoke, in my opinion.  Only one side of the cubes has been exposed to the smoke, and has bark on it.  I want all sides to be smoky and covered with good meat candy bark!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!