Author Topic: #2 or #3  (Read 10966 times)

drains

Re: #2 or #3
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 07:05:01 AM »
Don't know if you have looked yet but the #3 shipping cost is quite a bit more than the #2. It was 140.00 to ship my #3 to me here in Texas. That stung quite a bit. It is heavy though.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

mizzoufan

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »
While everyone is a bit different, I struggled with the same question.  In my case, I ended up with the #2 because of the port strikes on the west coast and couldn't be happier.  I was originally looking for the #3 to be able to do more at one time rather than smoke more frequently but the ease of use on any SI makes me glad I got the #2.  I have a higher % of capacity filled so temp swings are more even and even with the reduced capacity, I can feed 6-8 hungry guys pretty easily even with ribs being the only meat.
Steven from KCMO

va_rider

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 09:41:55 AM »
I'm very happy with my #2, but I wouldn't have regretted getting the #3. Something that Tony (DivotMaker) indirectly reminds me of quite often is that the larger size is really only an advantage if you're smoking a lot of the same thing. (Or things with similar cooking times) It's not the best idea to load up a smoker with a brisket, several racks of ribs, ABT's, and chickens. If you're cooking up several briskets, or loading it up with half a dozen racks of ribs, it's all good. But, if you've got a pile of things with different cooking times, you'll be opening the smoker far too often.

So, take a look at what you plan to be smoking, and how many people you'll be serving. For my needs, the #2 is great. My first smoke was 3 racks of ribs, followed by a whole chicken, brats, and a tray of mac n' cheese. The next smoke was a ~6lb brisket. The next, more ribs. The next,(Father's Day) a 12.5lb brisket, followed by ABT's and a Fatty. Then did some St Louis ribs last Friday. The #2 performed admirably for all of these. Now, I've got a ~16lb brisket waiting in the freezer, and my admin at work is bringing me another ~7lb brisket.

Once I learned the best way to load it up, and the limitations of cooking different things at the same time, I was much happier and got much better end results. My house fills with neighbors every time they smell smoke in the neighborhood, lining up to eat. I've only had mine for just over a month, but it's keeping me happy no problem.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

Ohio1956

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
It's like a tool box, you always end up needing more room. I went with the #3 and I am glad I did. 
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 07:53:03 PM »
I'm very happy with my #2, but I wouldn't have regretted getting the #3. Something that Tony (DivotMaker) indirectly reminds me of quite often is that the larger size is really only an advantage if you're smoking a lot of the same thing. (Or things with similar cooking times) It's not the best idea to load up a smoker with a brisket, several racks of ribs, ABT's, and chickens. If you're cooking up several briskets, or loading it up with half a dozen racks of ribs, it's all good. But, if you've got a pile of things with different cooking times, you'll be opening the smoker far too often.

So, take a look at what you plan to be smoking, and how many people you'll be serving. For my needs, the #2 is great. My first smoke was 3 racks of ribs, followed by a whole chicken, brats, and a tray of mac n' cheese. The next smoke was a ~6lb brisket. The next, more ribs. The next,(Father's Day) a 12.5lb brisket, followed by ABT's and a Fatty. Then did some St Louis ribs last Friday. The #2 performed admirably for all of these. Now, I've got a ~16lb brisket waiting in the freezer, and my admin at work is bringing me another ~7lb brisket.

Once I learned the best way to load it up, and the limitations of cooking different things at the same time, I was much happier and got much better end results. My house fills with neighbors every time they smell smoke in the neighborhood, lining up to eat. I've only had mine for just over a month, but it's keeping me happy no problem.

Well-said, Grasshopper! ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »

Well-said, Grasshopper! ;) 8)
I'm sure that's what all you #2 guys tell yourselves to help you sleep at night.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 08:10:50 PM »
I was referring to Aaron's grasp of loading, more than the size of the smoker.  lol!  I love the #2, but certainly love the flexibility of the #3!  Maybe someday, I'll round out the family with a #3! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 08:27:37 PM »
I was referring to Aaron's grasp of loading, more than the size of the smoker.  lol!  I love the #2, but certainly love the flexibility of the #3!  Maybe someday, I'll round out the family with a #3! ;)
I was just yanking your chain.  I should have bought 2 - #3's for what the #4 cost but these things don't stretch very well so extra room is always nice. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Boone

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
I ordered the #2 today. After doing a lot of thinking about which one would be the better for me I decided I really didn’t need the extra space of the #3 since I don‘t do large quantities at any one time.  I was in no rush to make the decision since I am happy with my WSM but with colder temperatures not all that far away a good quality electric smoker was on my wish list. During the warm weather months I enjoy sitting on my patio reading a magazine or whatever while keeping an eye on the progress of the smoke with WSM but with cooler to cold temperatures I would much prefer lounging in the house.

Thanks for all the replies! 

Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 04:18:41 PM »
The #2 will work well in the cold.  I've done some great food in the #2 in cold weather.  Who wants to mess with charcoal in the winter!  Enjoy
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like maybe the #3 is the way to go.

Great choice!  I now fully understand why it's so popular! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2015, 04:13:26 PM »
I am sure you will be happy with the #2, Boone...I know I am!   :)
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Boone

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 08:19:16 PM »
Received my #2 earlier this week. I’m very satisfied with the size and feel I made the right choice for myself between the #2 and #3.

Today I installed the wall mount PID sensor, bypassed the analog controller and seasoned the unit. Did the auto-tune .. P-61 .. I-346 .. D-336.

One of these next weekends I’ll get myself a 2/pack of ribs and make one in the Smokin-it and the other in my Weber Smoky Mountain just to see if there is a difference other than time spent monitoring the temperatures in the WSM.
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Congrats, Dan!  Now get out there and smoke something! ;) ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »
Good choice Dan,

Enjoy Greg