Author Topic: Pulling Pork the Day After  (Read 4888 times)

Hog Wild

Pulling Pork the Day After
« on: July 25, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
I have a 9-lb boston butt that I put in the #2 yesterday morning. By the time it was done, I was just too tired to pull it apart.  Any time/temperature suggestions for heating it up again for pain-free pulling?

BTW, I'm sure Leah will be posting the process pics for this one too.  We used Tony's brine recipe and our regular rub.  Even though I foiled the butt instead of pulling it, I did cheat a little and nibbled on the loose bits of bark. Oh so tasty!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:36:43 AM by Hog Wild »
Scott, from north Texas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Pulling Pork the Day After
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:09:32 AM »
Scott,

If you smoked it till it was ready to pull, then I would put it in a pan with some water/apple juice and cover with foil and place in the oven at 300 degrees until it reaches 165 degrees.

Greg

Tyarra

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:17:50 AM »
Well, I just got done pulling the pork ... with no issues at all.

When I got home from my movie trailer job last night (after Scott went to bed), it was probably an hour to an hour and a half afterwards, the package was still hot.  I did my paperwork for the job, then went to peek at the meat.  Sliced a bit off the corner, and after letting it cool a bit, found it 'oh so tasty' as Scott had.  Wrapped it back up, a bit worse for wear, but still wrapped up.

It was still warm to the touch when I went in this morning (~8 hours resting) ... pulled the bone out cleanly, and was able to shred it with no trouble at all!

Pics below.  9.25# Boston butt, 6 oz wood - half and half hickory and peach.  Brined with Tony's brine for ~15 hours.  235°, with probe set for 195° IT.   When put in initially, it read 35° - there was still ice in the brine when I pulled it, so that wasn't too surprising.  14 hours in the smoker.
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

Hog Wild

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 11:35:12 AM »
Thanks Greg. I know myself well enough to know this won't be the last time this happens.  That's advice that will go in my notebook.

Leah, I'm hungry. Make me a sammich?
Scott, from north Texas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 11:36:08 AM »
Looks like it turned out perfect, nice job.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
Great job, Scott and Leah! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 03:33:44 PM »
A+!

Love the pork machine!
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 09:30:38 PM »
Great job!  Looks like a perfect smok'in team!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 10:59:19 PM »
Good job! Pork butts are .99 lbs at the local HEB. Picking up a couple tomorrow. Mmmm mmmm mmmm!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Tyarra

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »
Since smoking a pork butt is so quick and easy (definitely not quick, but easy? Hell yeah!) we try to keep pulled pork on hand all the time - putting together a sammich or two is very much quick and easy. 

A few years ago, Carl's Jr (and presumably Hardee's) put out a limited-time specialty burger, something with 'Memphis' in the name - it might have been simply "Memphis Burger" - that included a pile of pulled pork on top of a burger.    I put a couple of Mock Memphis Burgers together for us yesterday.  Basically:  1 quarter pound burger, topped with a slice of cheese, topped with a quarter pound of pulled pork (or as much of a quarter pound as will fit on the thing) and finished with barbecue sauce.  I used a local brand, Garland Jack original, slightly sweet, with a little bit of a kick.  The original included an onion ring or two, but I was fresh out.  Maybe  fried onions from a can might be an option for future versions.  And there will be future versions!

Great job!  Looks like a perfect smok'in team!
Ever since we started this hobby, we've pretty much handled it as a team - we even laughing referred to ourselves after the title of the first Jamison & Jamison book we got: Smoke and Spice.  I handle the kitchen parts (Spice) and he handles the outside parts (Smoke).  We still do it that way, though I think he's got the easier end now, since there's no more hourly mops, keeping an eye on the fire, etc. :P  That's okay, he usually is the one to pull the pork, and he definitely does the carrying of stuff from kitchen to smoker, and back again, so I certainly can't complain. :)
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 12:27:05 PM »
It is a blessing to see (read about) that smoking is a family/team endeavor. Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus