Author Topic: #2 or #3  (Read 10968 times)

Boone

#2 or #3
« on: July 04, 2015, 11:42:13 AM »
I can’t decide between the #2 or #3. I’m leaning toward the #2. The width appears to be the same and only the depth is longer. I mostly smoke ribs, brisket and pork butt on my WSM but would like to start doing sausages also.

Would the extra depth on the #3 make much of a difference for my needs? Would the extra 400 watts with the heating element make much of a difference?

Thanks
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: #2 or #3
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 11:47:57 AM »
Boone,

I have a #2 and I am very happy with it. When doing babyback ribs, most of the time I can fit them on the 14x14" rack. But if you are doing larger ribs you might need to cut them in half to fit them on the shelf. I don't think the difference in the heating element makes any difference between the two, I am sure others will chime in.

The discussion of what size to buy always comes up :)

Greg
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:49:33 AM by gregbooras »

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 12:42:34 PM »
Go for the 3, you won't regret it!  Bigger is better and you can smoke the biggest monster of a brisket you can find... And 2 or 3 at that!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »
Hi Boone, I have a #2 as well and I have very pleased with it.   I am typically smoking for just my wife and kids, although I often end up sending the extras to neighbors.  So, #2 fits my needs (always have left overs).  I smoke 3-4 racks of BB ribs at a time with no problem, or two 5# chickens side by side, or a 8# boston butt on a rack.   I can also fit a 12# turkey, or several times I have done half chickens on multiple racks.   The point is, for me, the #2 produces more than enough smoked meat for my needs.

However, as is often pointed out here, you can always smoke less in a larger unit but not more in smaller unit.  If you need to smoke more meat at a time than what I have described above, then you might want to go with the #3.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »
Hi Boone - Here is my 4 cents worth, today being the 4th:
1. While Steve has designed the smokers with a heating element perfectly sized for the capacity of each model smoker, and while they are super insulated, the extra 400 watts is COULD be viewed as advantageous for smoking in cold weather. However, there are plenty of posts regarding all models where the units performed flawlessly in cold/freezing weather.

2.  Bigger is better if you can afford it and foresee a need for a larger size unit on special occasions such as family gatherings.

3.  Go with your gut.  Whichever model you choose, you will be getting an proven performer and joining a very special family of smokers.

Dave

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Grampy

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
Boone, I have a #2 and love it. If I had it to do over again I would choose the #3 simply because there is more room and you wont have to cut ribs or briskets in half. IMO you cant go wrong with either one.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Limey

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »
+1 to what Dave said(although as the owner of two #3s I would give the nod to the #3 over the #2-more real estate is always helpful)
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 04:06:03 PM »
If you have to have uncut slabs of ribs the #3 will be a better fit.  The #2 holds a lot, but long stuff has to be cut. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
Alright it's time for the easy answer..... Drum roll.........

Buy both!

I know not happening, but whatever you decide, you will have a top notch smoker and your food will reflect that.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
IMO, #3 price is pretty close to the #2 but much more volume.  For all you that went with the #2, I've been curious why you made that choice over a #3.  I would have picked the #3 every time. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »
Perfect Greg!  I'm trying to talk my wife into the #1 as an appetizer spare:)  No luck yet.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 04:56:23 PM »
Multiple smokers are great!  But, my #1 and #2 still don't equal what a #3 can do!  If the 3 is in your budget, don't hesitate.  It's the most-versatile of the bunch. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »
John,
I kept my propane smoker for side dishes and appetizers.  The SI units are best suited for meat, regardless of model size.  Frequent door opening and fast recovery is just not what an electric was meant for. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 06:21:23 PM »
IMO, #3 price is pretty close to the #2 but much more volume.  For all you that went with the #2, I've been curious why you made that choice over a #3.  I would have picked the #3 every time.

Dave,

For some it is the price, but price was not the decision on the smoker here.

I wanted a smoker that didn't stand out in our pool area. With the kids in their own places in the Midwest, most of the time I am only cooking for the little woman. But I must admit that several of my neighbors also benefit from my hobby.

Greg

Boone

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like maybe the #3 is the way to go.
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle