Author Topic: First smoke  (Read 10038 times)

Skyguy

• Brock
First smoke
« on: July 04, 2015, 08:59:42 AM »
Hello, happy 4th to everyone. Getting ready to go buy meat for my first smoke. Thinking of getting some St. Louis ribs (1 rack or 2?) And a chicken for the lower rack.  I hope some of you find you way on here today to give me some advice on this plan.

First, can I fit 2 rack of ribs and a chicken or just stick with 1 rack?

Second question, I plan to have the temp set to  225-or 230 for 5 hoyrs for ribs, but the chicken times vary quite a bit from what I read. How long should I plan on the chicken taking?

Also I don't have a wireless temp probe yet so I will have to open the door to check the chicken temp, how long will this extend the ribs cook time (basically open door, check temp and close)?

If this becomes to difficult for a first smoke, and I go just ribs on the 2 racks that come with smoker do I put the thicker ribs slabs on the top and the thinner on the bottom?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:01:21 AM by Skyguy »
Brock from Connersville Indiana

Grampy

Re: First smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:38:26 AM »
Aaron, I wish you luck with your 1st smoke!

First, can I fit 2 rack of ribs and a chicken or just stick with 1 rack? Aaron, I have a #2 so I can't guide you on this one. I am sure someone else that has a #1 will chime in here.

Second question, I plan to have the temp set to  225-or 230 for 5 hoyrs for ribs, but the chicken times vary quite a bit from what I read. How long should I plan on the chicken taking? In my experience chicken usually takes around 3 1/2 - 4 hours. You could start the ribs first, and then add the chicken later to avoid checking the chicken temp until you are opening the door to check the doneness of the ribs. Its important to go by temp with chicken instead of time. Shoot for an IT of 165.

Also I don't have a wireless temp probe yet so I will have to open the door to check the chicken temp, how long will this extend the ribs cook time (basically open door, check temp and close)? If you follow my advice above it shouldn't matter. Either way the time difference should be minimal unless you are opening up the door a lot.

If this becomes to difficult for a first smoke, and I go just ribs on the 2 racks that come with smoker do I put the thicker ribs slabs on the top and the thinner on the bottom? Other way around, you want your thicker pieces on the bottom and the thinner pieces on the top.
[/quote]
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Skyguy

• Brock
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
Does 5 hour for ribs work with baby back, country style and St Louis? Thanks for the feedback on the chicken advice!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »
Brock,

Jimmy advice seems spot on, I also have a #2, but from what I have read I think you can get both the chicken and ribs in your smoker. Just make sure the chicken is under the ribs.

Also do yourself a huge favor and (make life easier) buy a thermometer. You don't have to spend the money on one with a remote if you are being price conscious. You can find one's at HomeDepot, Lowes and even Ace for around $20.00.

Greg

Skyguy

• Brock
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »
I have a scale ordered and a good thermometer wired is first priority.

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 10:56:43 AM »
Welcome Brock......
First, can I fit 2 rack of ribs and a chicken or just stick with 1 rack?
Unless you have a rack that will hold the ribs upright you will have to cut the rack in half.... the sections will fit on one shelf.....One rack per shelf.
Second question, I plan to have the temp set to  225-or 230 for 5 hoyrs for ribs, but the chicken times vary quite a bit from what I read. How long should I plan on the chicken taking?
When it comes to smoking times I have found that Tony's Smoking times, Temps and Wood is a great starting point and for my first try at ribs and chicken quarters it was spot on

Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »
Brock, I'm going to go against the grain here, and advise you to not try and combine meats on your first smoke.  First, I have smoked lots of meat in the #1, and what you're planning will be tight.  Secondly, if you're talking about a whole chicken, plus ribs, it will be a very tight fit.  The other issue is that these cook differently, at different temps.  Use 235 for the ribs, without opening the door for the first 4.5 hours, then check for doneness.  The chicken should be smoked at 250, until it reaches 165 internal.  You must get a remote thermometer for smoking things like chicken.  Opening the door frequently to check temps is very detrimental to a good smoke.

I really recommend focusing on one meat at a time, especially until you get the feel for what you can do.  Also, the "5 hours" for ribs is NOT universal.  It is a general guideline for baby backs.  Yours may take 4.5, 5 or 5.5+...the ribs will tell you.  Spares take longer, and country style are totally different (they're just a sliced pork shoulder, not really "ribs").  I suggest using the Search box, inside the board you have a question about.  Go to Pork, and search each of these questions.  Not that we mind answering again, but these are topics and questions that have been covered literally hundreds of times; the answers are already there.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

sprin001

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm in the same boat. Just got my #1 and finished seasoning. I'm going to start with a Boston butt first this weekend. I'll be using pecan from down the road - I don't have a scale but I'm guesstimating by using the spices which weigh 3 oz vs the wood - best I've got for now.
Glenpool, OK.
Smokin-it model #1
Prefer mostly pork and some brisket

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:34:41 PM »
Welcome, Sprin!  The Boston butt is an excellent first smoke!  Let us know if we can help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

sprin001

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 10:46:22 AM »
Hey thanks divot maker. I'm looking for the Tony's brine recipe but coming up empty. I found the temp and wood guide which looks tremendously helpful. Can you point me to the brine? Thanks, JS

PS I worked at a local bbq chain for years "ribcrib" and I don't remember brining the pork?
Glenpool, OK.
Smokin-it model #1

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
Hey thanks divot maker. I'm looking for the Tony's brine recipe but coming up empty. I found the temp and wood guide which looks tremendously helpful. Can you point me to the brine? Thanks, JS

PS I worked at a local bbq chain for years "ribcrib" and I don't remember brining the pork?

Here you go!

Trying something new today!  I started off with a 9.34 lb bone-in Boston butt.  Trimmed it up yesterday, and put in a brine:

1 gallon water
1 1/8 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tblsp garlic powder
1 tblsp onion powder
1 tblsp cayenne
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp #1 Instacure (pink curing salt)  [edit: This is a later addition to the brine, but was not used on this cook.]

Heated the brine to blend all the flavors, cooled and placed in the fridge.

Skyguy

• Brock
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »
Brock, I'm going to go against the grain here, and advise you to not try and combine meats on your first smoke.  First, I have smoked lots of meat in the #1, and what you're planning will be tight.  Secondly, if you're talking about a whole chicken, plus ribs, it will be a very tight fit.  The other issue is that these cook differently, at different temps.  Use 235 for the ribs, without opening the door for the first 4.5 hours, then check for doneness.  The chicken should be smoked at 250, until it reaches 165 internal.  You must get a remote thermometer for smoking things like chicken.  Opening the door frequently to check temps is very detrimental to a good smoke.

I really recommend focusing on one meat at a time, especially until you get the feel for what you can do.  Also, the "5 hours" for ribs is NOT universal.  It is a general guideline for baby backs.  Yours may take 4.5, 5 or 5.5+...the ribs will tell you.  Spares take longer, and country style are totally different (they're just a sliced pork shoulder, not really "ribs").  I suggest using the Search box, inside the board you have a question about.  Go to Pork, and search each of these questions.  Not that we mind answering again, but these are topics and questions that have been covered literally hundreds of times; the answers are already there.

Hey sorry if I offended you, I actually read on here all the time and do use the search option quite a bit.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »
Sorry for the lateness I also have the #1. As for doing both I would agree with the rest. Just do the ribs for now. I cook mine at 235 for 4.5 hrs. Then check for doneness, I use the toothpick method. That is stick a toothpick between the bones if it goes in like a knife in warm butter they are done. Also if you can move the pick from side to side without breaking they are done. Also at this point if you want to put sauce on them this is a good time. If you sauce then close back up for 30 min. I put the large part on the lower shelf and the thin on the top. Do not forget to use a bread pan with water or other liquid. Lots here use apple juice...
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 07:11:26 PM »
Hey sorry if I offended you, I actually read on here all the time and do use the search option quite a bit.

No worries, at all, Brock!  I was actually just trying to help you find some answers, in case you weren't familiar with that.  With 1600+ members, you would be amazed at how many folks have never used a forum's search function, so we end up with a question asked that has literally been answered hundreds of times.

No offense taken, and hope my suggestion didn't cause any! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

sprin001

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
divotmaker, what breed is the really big dog? I've got a 5 yr old mastiff.
Glenpool, OK.
Smokin-it model #1