Author Topic: Mixing types of wood  (Read 3532 times)

Brentrob

Mixing types of wood
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:15:39 PM »
Hey all.  I was wondering about mixing wood types.  I have usually used chips in my old masterbuilt.  Now that I have a model 3, I am using chunks.  If I was going to mix chunks and chips, besides soaking the chips, should the chip insert be used?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Mixing types of wood
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:59:03 PM »
I only use chips for short or low temp smokes because they start smoking with less heat and don't last as long as chunks.

No need to soak unless you want to delay when they will start smoking.

Chip insert is good to have when using chips. Some leave their chip inserts in all the time even when only using chunks.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:50:39 AM »
I use chips unsoaked, sometimes even pellets, to go with my chunks so that the smoke generation starts a little quicker.  I use the chip insert 100% of the time, i.e. all of my smokes regardless of whether there are chips in the box.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
Like Dave I use a mixture of chips(unsoaked) and chunks and leave my chip insert in all the time. Never had a problem with combustion.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Brentrob

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:25:07 PM »
Thanks all.  Tomorrow will be the first smoke in my #3.  Hopefully all goes well.  Mixing apple chips with hickory chunks for 4 pork butts for a party on Saturday.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:00:37 AM »
Good luck, Brent...I think you have a good choice of wood.   Get ready for lots of pulled pork!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
Hey Brent that sounds like a good selection of wood for the butts. I used maple and cherry on mine. Wish you good luck in your smoke add pictures of your progress.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri