Author Topic: Timer for a delayed smoke  (Read 4714 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Timer for a delayed smoke
« on: June 25, 2015, 07:28:35 PM »
Tonight I will be smoking a 10lb butt, but.... I will put it in before I go to bed. This will finish the smoke 4-6 hours before dinner. In the past, I just turn down the smoker to 140 and hold. I know that I can buy an PID for and do a delayed start, but thought what about an inexpensive timer.....

This way I could put the meat in the smoker lets say 10:00 pm and start the smoke at 1:00 or 2:00 am. Since the meat will be at 55 degrees I would think a few hours would not be an issue. I found a timer at HD, maybe not enough wattage, but what I would like thoughts on the concept.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Plug-In-Dual-Outlet-Heavy-Duty-Timer-15075/100685854

Thanks Greg

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Timer for a delayed smoke
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
Hey Greg, the concept should work just fine. I would be concerned will it handle the wattage. Also did not like that the unit was not waterproof. That tells me it should be used inside the house. Maybe I am all wet, good luck with it. I have used these timers to control space heaters in my basement when starting seedlings for the summer garden.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:11:19 PM »
Hey Greg, the concept should work just fine. I would be concerned will it handle the wattage. Also did not like that the unit was not waterproof. That tells me it should be used inside the house. Maybe I am all wet, good luck with it. I have used these timers to control space heaters in my basement when starting seedlings for the summer garden.

Hey Bill,

This is just the first one I found at HD so it maybe not the one I use. For me, the area I smoke is covered so not really worried about inside outside.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »
I would say to be very careful doing this in summer months.  The "danger zone" for meat is between 40° and 140°.  If your meat sits at 55+°, for a few hours, you are well into that zone.  Then, it will take longer to get it out of the zone.  Personally?  No way I'd do a delayed start, unless the box temp was 40° or below!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Trip

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 07:48:57 PM »
Yeah, that's a 15 amp timer, it will work fine.  I would be more worried about leaving the meat out.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14:43 PM »
I need to do some research on safe times for meat before and after the cook.

Just a thought....

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 11:35:05 PM »
I need to do some research on safe times for meat before and after the cook.

Please do!  Great idea, if the meat stays below 40...not so much, above that!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 09:38:18 AM »
Looks like something that could be done in the winter, but here in Florida :)

The “Danger Zone” (40 °F-140 °F)
Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 ° and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the “Danger Zone.” That’s why the Meat and Poultry Hotline advises consumers to never leave food
out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 one.

Greg

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
Even at that when I defrost meat I put in the fridge, takes 2 days but at least not growing anything on the meat. Also was stationed in Jacksonville for 2 years. And I really do not remember the night time temp. getting even close to 40. Seems like night time temps. was in the mid 60's. Has that changed?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »
Even at that when I defrost meat I put in the fridge, takes 2 days but at least not growing anything on the meat. Also was stationed in Jacksonville for 2 years. And I really do not remember the night time temp. getting even close to 40. Seems like night time temps. was in the mid 60's. Has that changed?

The normal night temps in the winter are 40-50 degrees. There are times when it hits the 20's but not to often.

Greg

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 11:44:27 AM »
Wow that has really changed.    :-\ I think a few times was down in the upper 50's but was during a rain storm.