Author Topic: Alternative to ET-733?  (Read 21361 times)

va_rider

Alternative to ET-733?
« on: June 23, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
So, my ET-733 Maverick has crapped out. Sitting on the kitchen counter, they're reading 140 degrees. Is this just bad probes? I'm going to send it back to Amazon since I've only had them for a couple weeks, but should I order another 733? or is there a better option?

I also have a Thermoworks Chefalarm, which is great. I love the thing. But, it doesn't allow for remote monitoring. I can set an alarm, but at 3AM, the neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate that crazy loud alarm going off.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Alternative to ET-733?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
Aaron,

I have tried 4 different remotes and the 733 seems to work the best for me.

Greg

va_rider

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:56:15 AM »
Looking at the reviews on Amazon, the biggest complaint seems to be about probes dying all of the time. Is there some fix for this? Better probes?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »
I have not had any problems with my probes yet, but I am careful to just wipes them off when I am done.

If you go to A-MAZE-N Products you will find a replacement probe. Not sure how they compare, you could give them a call. I have listed their number and link below.

(952) 736-7678

https://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAVET-732PROBE

Greg

Elliottbte

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »
Looking at the reviews on Amazon, the biggest complaint seems to be about probes dying all of the time. Is there some fix for this? Better probes?

I had the same issue and Steve replaced my probes twice since I bought the 733 from SI.  But the final fix was putting some RTV where the wire goes into the probe.  It worked for me.  I do replace the RTV every couple months, but it's easy.

Check this out: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2213.msg21579#msg21579

Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »
I had issues with my first set of probes for the Maverick 732.   When I got the second set of probes, I applied some of the High Temp Red RTV Silicone where the probes meet the wire for added protection against moisture.   The probes have been working fine for quite a while now.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »

I had the same issue and Steve replaced my probes twice since I bought the 733 from SI.  But the final fix was putting some RTV where the wire goes into the probe.  It worked for me.  I do replace the RTV every couple months, but it's easy.

Check this out: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2213.msg21579#msg21579

I wonder if you could use something like J-B Weld 8297 HighHeat 500 Degree Epoxy Putty to fix problem all together?

Greg

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:26:20 PM »
I purchased and extra meat probe at the K.C. BBQ store to use in my 732. That way will have too meat probes when doing different cuts of meats. I also used a gasket silicone maker to seal the ends where the wire goes into the probe. The gasket maker is rated to 500 degrees. Also have not had any issues with my Maverick.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Elliottbte

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 01:21:53 PM »

I wonder if you could use something like J-B Weld 8297 HighHeat 500 Degree Epoxy Putty to fix problem all together?

Greg
[/quote]

Need to make sure it's food safe.  Permatex Red RTV is food safe (I called them).  It's smells a bit when first applied, but that goes away as it cured over the next 24 hours.  I would definitely give it couple days to cure before using a probe that has it on.  I even gave my probes a quick couple hour seasoning in the SI #1 just to make double sure there would be no residual odors when smoking for real.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 01:28:55 PM »

Greg

Need to make sure it's food safe.  Permatex Red RTV is food safe (I called them).  It's smells a bit when first applied, but that goes away as it cured over the next 24 hours.  I would definitely give it couple days to cure before using a probe that has it on.  I even gave my probes a quick couple hour seasoning in the SI #1 just to make double sure there would be no residual odors when smoking for real.
[/quote]

Brad good point on making sure its food safe. I just checked on the J-B Weld and it looks iffy.

I like your solution, I will give it a try.

Greg

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 02:05:26 PM »
I do not think it needs to be food safe as that part of the probe won't touch the meat. At least that is what Divotmaker posted here http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=763.msg4298#msg4298
Also I did not use a food grade gasket silicone maker I used Permatex ultra black silicone gasket maker.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »
I replaced my 733 probes with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-3-Foot-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00WGUFITK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435097625&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+et-735+probes

• Water-Proof, Weather Resistant highly rated probe
• 3-Foot Long Stainless Steel Braided Cord with a Stainless Steel Probe
• Can be used as a food, smoker, oven or Pit probe
• High Temperature Rated - Up to 716 degrees F (380 degrees C)

They are way better quality than the ones that come with the 733. I have only used them a couple of times, but I think they will hold up better based on the looks of them.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elkins20

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
I am actually surprised that the Maverick company does not seal the ends where the braided wire goes into the probe. When I sealed mine I actually put some of the gasket maker down in the hole with the braided  wire and also on the outside a 1/4 of an inch both ways. Is not pretty but should have a good seal. And actually those probes are sealed or at least looks to be.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:05:41 PM by elkins20 »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:36:24 PM »
I replaced my 733 probes with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-3-Foot-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00WGUFITK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435097625&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+et-735+probes

• Water-Proof, Weather Resistant highly rated probe
• 3-Foot Long Stainless Steel Braided Cord with a Stainless Steel Probe
• Can be used as a food, smoker, oven or Pit probe
• High Temperature Rated - Up to 716 degrees F (380 degrees C)

They are way better quality than the ones that come with the 733. I have only used them a couple of times, but I think they will hold up better based on the looks of them.

Hey Gregg,

I will order a pair!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 08:22:28 PM »
Those look like good probes, Gregg!  About the JB-Weld, or high-temp silicone (gasket maker) issue:  I use the red Permatex, but I'm not concerned about "food grade" because I'm not sticking the silicone in the meat!  I wouldn't use an epoxy, like JB, because you need a bit of flexibility in the wire.  I would also be concerned that the thick epoxy putty would not penetrate the probe and make a truly watertight seal, which the silicone will do.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!