Author Topic: One is a lonely number  (Read 6562 times)

drains

One is a lonely number
« on: June 20, 2015, 01:40:48 AM »
So I'm smokin TWO briskets in the ole #3. One rubbed with John Henry pecan and one with good old salt and pepper. Put them both in the smoker moments ago along with a mini loaf pan of water pushed up against the smoke box which features new foil on the roof and 8 ozs of hickory chunks. It's been raining a lot here and the humidity is off the charts and it seemed that my wood felt a bit damp. Maybe it won't matter. More details to come. Pics below
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:42:59 AM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: One is a lonely number
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:33:15 AM »
Looking good Dale, let us know which you like better!

Greg

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »
Dale, that sounds like a tasty experiment!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

drains

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:46:54 AM »
8 hours in one brisket at 187 and one at 183. Got the maverick 733 remote right beside me monitoring the situation. Going to remove and wrap at 190 then let them rest a couple hours. Then I move on to the spare ribs.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »
Sounds like everything is working to plan!  Keep on smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »
Hey Dale how is our smoke going? Mine is almost done I have an Internal Temp. of 198 will pull at 205 double wrap and put back in the smoker at 140 degrees until around 1:45 pm pull it and let it rest for an hour. Then will pull it and have it after Mass(Church) tonight. By the way the beans came out really great with the cherry/chipotle rub. When I pulled them at 10:00am did not look at the roast but the smell was really good.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
I pull a little off when I double wrapped it in foil. The taste is out of this world. I think I have found the rubs I will stay with. Thanks again for the heads up on John Henry's rubs...
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »
Hey Dale mine is shredded and the taste is out of this world. The bark and smoke ring is about 1/4 inch but the flavor is great. After the rest lots of moist beef. Will be doing this again. I hope your briskets turn out well.

drains

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 04:28:49 PM »
Great job Bill! I pulled the briskets around 2 pm @ 190 and 194. I have wrapped them and will slice them tomorrow at the Father's Day get together we have planned. They both had good bark and smelled fantastic. I know I should try other types of wood and I will but for me all my life hickory is the smell and the taste I associate with bbq. Will report back after the party and give my opinion and ask others opinions on which brisket they liked best, the one with pecan rub or the Dalmatian. I was going to make the beans you gave the recipie for but my mother in law said she had pintos soaking already so I'll have to wait on that. She is making home made yeast rolls too! I'm sure glad your liking the rubs. I went 20 miles down the road and got another bottle a six ounce one until I can get Amazon to send me more. Pics below. Keep on smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 05:15:50 PM »
Nice looking Briskets, my East Texas friend! 

Just finished a couple of pork butts in the rain just north of Houston!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 02:14:56 AM »
Hey Dale, Those briskets really look nice. Before you buy from Amazon try the K.C. BBQ store as they ship and the cost for a 15 oz bottle of rub is $9.00. Not sure what the shipping would be. But, you might get it quicker from them. I know their prices are pretty reasonable. IMHO.

drains

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 07:02:34 AM »
Thanks Bill I'll do that. Have a great day!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 07:27:08 PM »
Really nice-looking briskets, Dale!  I, too, have a lifelong association with hickory as the "smell" of BBQ!  But, my favorite on brisket is mesquite.  A Texan should certainly know what that tastes like!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 10:56:43 PM »
That was me using hickory. A few years ago was watching an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It was about BBQ places in Kansas City. As I was watching he went to a place that sold wood. And the owner mentioned that Gate's a local BBQ place used Oak and Maple. At my former home when the wind was right and they were smoking I could smell the meat cooking and you would swear it was hickory they were burning. On my ribs that is what I used. But, for the roast I used Oak, Hickory, and cherry. It has a really good flavor.

mizzoufan

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »
Pulled brisket?  Isn't that blashemy?!   :o
Steven from KCMO