Author Topic: Smoking Wood  (Read 1711 times)

GreenID

Smoking Wood
« on: June 19, 2015, 11:07:16 PM »
Question, I don't have a digital scale yet and am ready for my first smoke, does anyone know the average weight of the chunks of wood that comes with SI #2?  Are they about 2 or 3 ounces on the average.  I will be smoking a pork but in the morning, brining it now.
Jackie from Washington, DC
Smoking IT #2

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Smoking Wood
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »
Been a while since I've had those. 3 chunks will do fine. If you like it smoky, go for 4 chunks.  With pork butt you'll be fine either way.

I'm about to put 2 10lb butts in my smoker overnight (which I would suggest as they can take 10-15 hours depending on the butt, then at least 2 hours of rest in a cooler).  Anyway, I'm using 7.5 ounces of hickory as I likes it smoky!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

GreenID

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 12:28:55 AM »
Thanks for the quick response I'll use 3 chunks.  For my first smoke I want to watch the temperature swings after that I will smoke butts over night.
Smoking IT #2

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the temp swings. Just crank that dial all the way and let your thermometer probes tell you when it's time to pull it out.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

GreenID

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 08:25:36 PM »
Thanks I will be posting my results this evening.
Smoking IT #2