Author Topic: One year anniversary: Still in love.  (Read 4582 times)

Suzie-Q

One year anniversary: Still in love.
« on: June 19, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »
   I had to report in after a year with my Smokin-It #1.  It has been a great year!  I'm a slow learner but the mini smoker is so easy I've tried lots of experiments (never had to throw anything away but maybe use more BBQ sauce). ;)  My family has been very forgiving; especially when hungry!  Pork, beef, chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp and cheese: it's all good.  I've even smoked salt.  I have an easy (cheat) for great smoked almonds too.  There really is a difference with types of wood; well, I'm a rank beginner so I didn't know.  Make mistakes?  Yup, like forget to put that hole in the bottom of the aluminum foil in the bottom. :(  Oh yeah, heavy duty aluminum foil is your friend!  Chip insert and cold smoke shelve?  Worth it! :)  Never going to Crock-Pot a corned beef again; going to smoke it for pastrami.  I've kept a note book so I can learn from mistakes and repeat success.  Thanks to this forum I can count on expert advice.  Thank you!  Now if I could only find some quality beef ribs to experiment with...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:03:02 PM by Suzie-Q »

Limey

Re: One year anniversary: Still in love.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:40:07 PM »
Hi Suzie-Q that's a great recommendation for the SI, but all those smokes and only 12 posts?? Please share more of your smoking experiences with us- good and maybe not so good.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:26:28 PM »
Hey Suzie-Q, Could you share the recipe for the smoked almonds. I love them but cannot find them in my area. I also have the little guy and have a chuck roast in the fridge getting happy for a smoke this weekend going to make pulled beef. Also recommend John Henry's pecan rub and John Henry's cherry chipotle rub.
Thanks in advance...
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Suzie-Q

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »
When I was cold smoking some cheese, I also placed a pound of Trader Joe's dry roasted, 50% less salt almonds on a seafood shelf.  The small grid worked well with the small size of the nuts.  Perhaps an aluminum tray would have worked but I didn't try that.  The only problem?  Not enough almonds when you start tasting them!

elkins20

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:11:41 PM »
Sounds like a winner, going to try that as love smoked almonds. At Sam's they have all kinds of almonds but none are smoked.. I will fix that. As pretty new at this so am guessing you was on a temp. around 140 degrees?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Suzie-Q

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:02:14 PM »
I don't remember the temperature, but it was a cold smoke.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »
I've been thinking of getting a #1 for a buddy of mine who is always loaning me his beach house. I've been wondering how you cook a brisket in one. Obviously, you have to cut it down. Are there any tricks to it?  How many pork butts have you gotten in yours?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:51:04 PM »
Hey Libohunden, I have been told by some of the senior members at this site you can get up to a 15 inch brisket in a #1. I purchase two briskets the other day at Sam's club and cut them in to. So each weighs around 7 lbs. Apparently do not really want a brisket under the 7lbs. and have been told that anything over 7lbs smokes better. I hope this helps also I have a #1. And just done a slab of ribs in mine. Tomorrow will be a long smoke on a chuck roast

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
Sounds good!  I'll be interested to hear how those Briskets turn out!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 02:36:15 AM »
Hey Libohunden,
        If you hop over to the Beef section, you will see the post I did on the chuck roast. I turned out really well. And when I do the brisket will follow that pretty close. I am still on the fence about brineing. To me I will inject the beef with some garlic powder and beef broth. Simmer this until the garlic is dissolved let cool to room temp. Inject the brisket, then rub with mustard and your favorite rub. I will use John Henry's cherry/chipotle rub just to see how it tastes on beef. Smoke using 5 oz of wood at 235, until I hit an internal temp. of 195. Will pull it and double wrap in foil maybe add some of the injection liquid around the outside of the brisket. Be careful not to get on the top of the brisket. Wrap in foil and a couple of towels put in a cooler to rest for 1 hour. Then can slice and enjoy....

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
Glad to hear you're still happy, Suzie!  Now come back more often than once a year!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 09:07:35 PM »
Happy anniversary!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers